telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/17, 06:51 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  December 24th, Simcoe Mountains, Satus Pass area
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 24th, Simcoe Mountains, Satus Pass area  (Read 1302 times)
pabloson

December 24th, Simcoe Mountains, Satus Pass area
« on: 12/28/15, 05:00 PM »

I skinned up 1.5 miles and 1000 vertical feet into the Simcoes last Thursday, the 1st break in the weather.  There was 3 feet of unconsolidated powder and snow drifts that seemed bottomless.  I  broke trail.  The 1st person in there - hence  the meager numbers..., but actually those are pretty good numbers!  Gosh it felt good to get back on my All Terrain 4X4 ski gear.

The main issue was my dog Otto.  We debated wether I should bring him and decided to give it a go.  It was immediately apparent upon getting out of the car that he was going to have trouble as he sank to his shoulders.  I've trained him to follow in my skin track, which helps some, but is still quite sinky, so I had to find a line where the wind has  scoured the snow into a hard stratugi.  Fortunately there was quite a bit, but even then he was sinking. 

After all the fires the last few years, there is new skiable terrain which was really nice because I did not have to climb too far to find some turns.  Otto actually stopped and laid down and curled up at one point even though I was still going.  That was a first for him and a clear message that my climbing day was done. 

We had our usual rest break with Chai tea with cream and honey (manna in this context) and dog cookies.  Otto started crying which had me worried.  Was his shoulder acting up?  Was he just done?  So I ripped off the skins in prep for the downhill and Otto TOOK OFF like a bat out of hell SWIMMING through the deep snow like frickin'  porpoise!  He was completely submerged at times and turned totally white.  Otto knows where the fun is.

Overall a good first day back on the skis after 2-3 years.  I am so happy that the Simcoes are available for BC skiing again! 

* IMG_4876_2.jpg (145.37 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 701 times.)

* IMG_4881_2.jpg (217.88 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 698 times.)
jtack

Re: December 24th, Simcoe Mountains, Satus Pass area
« Reply #1 on: 12/28/15, 05:49 PM »

Nice going, one of my back pocket plans is to ski as many of the old Washington ski areas as possible, and I know there was one around there, looks like it would be a good winter to get that one!
pabloson

« Reply #2 on: 12/29/15, 12:38 PM »

Just to the right of the tree in the foreground of picture #1, you can see the (now overgrown) old ski hill.  It is still skiable, but won't be for long as the trees are taking over.  Yes, this is a good year.  It is very brushy so it needs a significant base. 
rootsman

« Reply #3 on: 12/30/15, 10:58 AM »

It's always nice to see a report from one of the less-visited, dare I say, "exotic" areas. Thanks for posting.

Outsiders, in an outsider's sport, doing in outside. That's like...rocking the triple entendre!
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.