Home > Trip Reports > December 4, 2005, Paradise

December 4, 2005, Paradise

12/4/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 12/4/05 8:16am
So where was everybody?

Outstanding powder turns were had in all directions at Paradise today.  It was cold, about 21 degrees at the Paradise lot and the fresh powder was deep and fluffy.  The weather was decent, mainly cloudy with the occasional sunbreak and a huge sucker hole right over the Muir Snowfield all day.

Marketa, Zach and I started off with a quicky on Alta Vista after digging a pit.  We found about 20" of silky snow on top of the previously wet snow pack that has since frozen into a consolidated cinderblock about two feet thick to the ground.  The compression test showed a bomber interface between the powder and underlying cinderblock crust.  We did manage to break the powder free on a shear test, but only after a good, solid yank.  Alta Vista was good to us.

We then moved across the basin to Geech Face (aka Sunnyside) and found twice as much powder there and another bomber column.  We did a little recon. above Golden Gate and were greeted at the top of the ridge by a deep and very freaky "whoomph" that radiated for what seemed like 75' around us.  We were on top of the ridge "inland" away from a slide zone but the phenomenon spooked us all and kept us on our toes throughout the day.

Enjoyed sweet turns on Geech, before seeing them and the skin track shredded by two gacking snowboarders with snowshoes.  Kind of a shame, but I guess it's all very temporary anyway  ???.

We then moved west to the central basin and a pitch we called "Vertigo" for the best turns and fall line of the day (they were all good, all day) :).  Another solid pit of 24" powder on cinder block and we pointed them towards the car.

A truly outstanding day at Paradise...so where was everybody?
So where was everybody?

When the snow is good everywhere, no need to drive so far ;-)

I was at Bullion Basin, helping with an Avy feild trip. The snow was awesome!!   Glad you got some......Jerry

So where was everybody?

Ron and I had a breakfast pow, pow  ;) meeting at the Tall Timbers with Robie.  After hearing his stories from the previous day we decided to head back to White Pass for Robie's second helping.  I think we might have actually crossed the state line into Utah because the snow was just like there  ;D.

a late start out of olympia meant a late start out of the parking lot.  skinned to Pan Face and then up climbers right in the trees.  there was one track in the middle of pan face - but we did not trust the snow pack that had been in the sun.
just below pebble creek, while taking a quick break we noted a solo skier headed east towards the western edge of the Pardise Glacier.  she was lucky she took the higher ground.  we witnessed a release of an entire slope appox 30- 40  x 30-40  and three feet deep.  the snow stopped short of the skier by several feet.  the snow accumulation @ the snout of the debris was about five feet thick.
the snow and the turns were outstanding as the other writers report.
we did encounter two groups on snow shoes- with and with out skies and boards.  it was the first trip for all of these folks.  none had shovels, or beacons.  the smart ones asked us for opinions on routes and went down the way they came up.

I think we might have actually crossed the state line into Utah because the snow was just like there  ;D.

I didn't think Ron's court mandated ankle bracelet would allow him out of state ;)

I was actually on my way to your "pow pow" when freinds called...we all ended up carpooling to Paradise and expected to see the gang....  Maybe next week.

Did anyone else see or hear any slide activity yesterday?

JibberD ,I was in Dutch Harbor, AK talking in a deep voice with rugged fisherman types , most of whom where drunk most of the time.  Sorry I couldn't return your call.

I did ski at Steven Pass, Skyline Ridge on Saturday.
Went down the wrong way form the top, triggered  a size 1.5 to 2 avalanche, went missing for two hours while I navigated  myself down , my ski buddies having reporting me missing to Steven Pass Ski patrol and fearing for my life. An eventful day to say the least that taught me some serious lessons. I am now know as " Wrong Way Willis. 8)

Glad you're ok Scottie, aka "Wrong Way Willis."

Thanks Mad dog. Learnt some serious lessons like carry a radio, and be sure that everbody in the group understands the proposed descent path and keeps each other in view.
  We literally had "powder fever" and the skiing was so good that IMO, we as a group, and especially me, started making poor decisions because we where so amped up and desperate to make another run.

Damn, Scotty  ???
We can't turn our back on you for a minute  ;)  
I'm sure glad you just took an "E Ticket" ride and not one that hurt you... musta had "shields up", eh?   I certainly hope we don't have to cancel our trip to Whistler to stay here on the Enterprise and keep an eye on you  ;)

I just got done reading an email about a missing boarder at Stevens during the week...

Apparently one of the searchers fell from a chairlift on the way down after the search was over (the missing person was at home the entire time).  It sounded like he was, for the most part, fine.  Pretty sore though.  

nick

Dang Chris, that's scary.  Maybe you ought to stick with the Paradise gang for awhile.

Sounds like the chaos bugaboo was out and about in the Steven's backcountry this past weekend (see thread reporting lost gear on Skyline Ridge).

The 2-way radio is a piece of gear that I didn't think much of at first, but have since found that it certainly serves a valuable function in the backcountry.

Glad to hear you're unharmed and wiser.  Be sure to share more of the lessons learned with us when you get a chance.

Heading to Paradise Sunday?  I'm hoping to...

Glad your ok there Chris ??? I lost contact with my buddy Dan up at Sunrise for a short time in the fog cause my batteries were dead,gets freaky quick. See you soon ....Jerry

Reply to this TR

december-4-2005-paradise
JibberD
2005-12-04 16:16:32