Home > Trip Reports > Christmas Full Moon - Clara Lakes Basin

Christmas Full Moon - Clara Lakes Basin

12/15/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 12/25/15 4:16pm
I skied by the light of the moon in bitter-cold, several day-old care-free powder, in familiar terrain, and it was surreal. No headlamp, just soft moon-light. Full coverage, for no-worry skiing. This might be the one day I remember ahead of all others. I remember in 1987 stepping onto the Blue Glacier on Mt. Olympus, out of the woods, across the moraine, and into the moonlight. Suddenly there was a moon shadow, and our headlamps were unnecessary. That was special and I recall that experience fondly. This was similar, but more intense because of the speed. I've traveled by moonlight some. But I've never skied for fun under a full moon in care-free soft snow. Wow. I'm so jacked up I just want to go out for more right now.

Moxie got a ride for some of the travel. It was too soft for her short legs.

Orion above and city lights below. And that bright orb in the sky... that's the MOON!

Softy-soft, both the snow and the light.

after

Moxie is one smart buddy. ;)

I've only done that once, on a short tour above a hut up in the Selkirks, but it was indeed a memorable experience. Good job hopping on it!

Looks like a wonderful ski in the moonlight! Thanks for sharing!

AwesomE!!!

Same out here in the Methow. Hopped out the backdoor in the moonlight and skied the burn. The only thing missing is the hot tub.

Way to go. I was pondering the epicness of a full moon (pow!) tour. Glad you got out and thanks for sharing the aweinspiring experience.

What a tour, the light is spectacular, thanks!

Reply to this TR

christmas-full-moon-clara-lakes-basin
mikerolfs
2015-12-26 00:16:34