Home > Trip Reports > September 2, 2002, Mt. Hood Ski Area

September 2, 2002, Mt. Hood Ski Area

9/2/02
OR Mt Hood
Posted by ema on 9/19/02 11:16am
not wanting to ski hard sun cups and dirt entrained snow, we skied the lifts at timberline with smooth,groomed great corn.....no camps left either.....

toby
Smart call for late September turns, Toby.

Toby, can you figure out the date of this trip? It would be nice to get that in the Topic line. Charles

I think it was the 2nd.

Thanks Toby, I'll get that changed. Charles

Mad Dog and the Roboman are startin' to make noises about goin' there this Sunday.
http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/forecast.asp
Anybody else?

What time would you be planning on leaving on Sunday morning?

Here's some info I got via your link, Ron:
The Palmer Snowfield is open Friday - Sunday from 9am - 3pm.Ê All day lift tickets are $32 for adults, $22 for seniors (free if you're over 72), and $22 for juniors.Ê Please remember the Palmer Snowfield is recommended for intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders only. PLEASE BE AWARE OF EARLY SEASON CONDITIONS. YOU MUST WALK ON AND WALK OFF THE LIFTS.

I don't know about that walk on/off part - so that means doing the skis off/on routine for each lift ride? Hmmmm...you see, I'm used to those waxless skis and don't normally take them off until the end of the day! Maybe Toby can tell us more about how this works?

Charles

What time would you be planning on leaving on Sunday morning?

Charles

Reeeeeeeeely Early  :)

I don't know about that walk on/off part - so that means doing the skis off/on routine for each lift ride? Hmmmm...you see, I'm used to those waxless skis and don't normally take them off until the end of the day! Maybe Toby can tell us more about how this works?

Charles

No Problem, Charles.
That just means we'll be waiting for you at the beginning/end of each run instead of vice versa  ;D

Just think an early morning road trip, just like those ol college days, maybe we should just party all night, wait for the sun to start up and then head for the hills  ;D ;D  Then again, I think age has something to do with that.

Charles, it's not to hard to take the skis off, course you could always put some skins on them and just skin over the dirt, only one tricky part in doing that, is getting off at the top, that takes a little practice.

maybe we should just party all night, wait for the sun to start up and then head for the hills Ê;D ;D

But if we wait for the sun to come up it will be too late - this ain't summer anymore!

Ok, I'm becoming more interested. Someone I know who will be doing their October turns in South America just commented to me that conditions out there (ie backcountry) are "dangerous", with the "limestone snow" and no new. But I've managed, so far, to ski every month as backcountry - should I plan on skiing up instead of riding the lift? Then I could still keep my skis on all day, and spend all that money I save on beer.

Charles,
It will break our hearts to lap you on the lifts... but somebody will have it to do  ;)
And you're right; there'll be beer to drink.

we we're still able to ski on and off the lifts, but just barely! until the next snow, you will probably have to walk off in the tunnel exit and onto the snow-field, and again, i guess, at mid-way and down low. Personally, i wouldn't go back down until it snows again....I also have a question about posting pics. How would i post with my reports, pictures located in "my briefcase" on my hard-drive? thanks for any info..  toby.

Toby, I answered your question about posting pics here.

Personally, i wouldn't go back down until it snows again.
But we haven't skied in October yet! And the forecast for new snow is not good.

If we were going to hike up to the bottom of the skiable snow, does anyone know how much vertical it would be to get there? Given the conditions right now, it seems like it might be worthwhile to get to that groomed snow just so we're not skiing on those limestone suncups.

If we were going to hike up to the bottom of the skiable snow, does anyone know how much vertical it would be to get there? Given the conditions right now, it seems like it might be worthwhile to get to that groomed snow just so we're not skiing on those limestone suncups.

Timberline is at 6,000.  The top of the Magic Mile (bottom of the Palmer) is at 7,000. The top of the Palmer lift is at 8,500.
Of course you could skin on up to Illumination Saddle or the Hogsback and get up to 10,000 or more.
I think you can also buy a one ride lift ticket to the top of the Palmer.
Lots of options depending on snow conditions.

I think you can also buy a one ride lift ticket to the top of the Palmer.

BTW, what's a lift?   ;) ;)

BTW, what's a lift?   ;) ;)

There's a couple of different kinds...
one is Brit speak for "elevator",
another is something you get off of "those little pills"   :)

It sounds like there are some options for getting "backcountry" turns in, then. But here's some new info: Andy said that Regine flew over Hood a couple of days ago and that it looked "horrible", and when I asked him for details he wrote, "She said the Palmer Lift skiing area looked very dirty. :-( " But presumably it is not hard suncups as well. So I'm still thinking...

Andy said that Regine flew over Hood a couple of days ago and that it looked "horrible", and when I asked him for details he wrote, "She said the Palmer Lift skiing area looked very dirty. :-(

I flew over Mt Adam's a couple of weeks ago, and it looked terrible too, but what mountain doesn't looks terrible at this time of the year.  Yeah it would be fun to go and ski new snow, but it's not always about the destination, it's about the journey.

Reply to this TR

september-2-2002-mt-hood-ski-area
ema
2002-09-19 18:16:36