Home > Trip Reports > December 20, 2015, PNW Powder

December 20, 2015, PNW Powder

12/20/15
Posted by jtack on 12/23/15 3:21am
I have this feeling the whole world is out skiing powder, and it's mums the word! (including me I suppose) I think everyone is so hungry for good skiing, they are out ripping it up, going home, and saying I'm going to get just one more day and I'll put in a post! So I figured I better add a small drop in the bucket, and maybe get some of you to come loose with a few good pictures to feed the stoke.

We had a great day of boot top blower on low consequence terrain, made five laps, it was meadow skipping at it's best.  An easy pace, time for lunch, and one new ski friend.  Poor pictures, but you get the idea.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0XoD8ZM3si0/VnrmPD9029I/AAAAAAAAHYM/hulgpe3RRwU/s640-Ic42/IMG_3773.JPG" />

Thanks for the Pictures. Yes, the powder has been great and I have been posting pictures on Facebook. I's so much easier to do it there without having to worry about getting it off my phone or camera, and then converting it to the right file size....I have a new computer as well and don't have Photoshop on it yet so I can't re-size everything. "Friend" me!

Brian Izdepski

Edmonds, WA

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "poor pictures" when it comes to powder and feeding stoke.

author=jtack link=topic=35176.msg144269#msg144269 date=1450898488">
So I figured I better add a small drop in the bucket, and maybe get some of you to come loose with a few good pictures to feed the stoke.

Last weekend I videoed some friends enjoying "Two boards upon cold powder snow, Yo-ho!" I combined the video with an old 10th Mountain Division song from World War II.

You can find the result on Facebook here.

Thanks JTack.  Lowell:  your vid is awesome!!

Care to be a little more specific about where ya'll are skiing? I've got an idea but there's really no reason to be coy about it.

Is your "new ski friend" that knee-dropping Dan Peck?  ;D

Lowell, I'm not a Facebook guy, but Polly is so I was able to watch your video, it's great! Mike told me about your repertoire of 10th Mountain Div. Songs!

Mack, my new ski friend is Dans hard charging ski partner Chris.

author=jtack link=topic=35176.msg144346#msg144346 date=1451058407]
Lowell, I'm not a Facebook guy, but Polly is so I was able to watch your video, it's great! Mike told me about your repertoire of 10th Mountain Div. Songs!

Jamie, I don't think you have to be on Facebook to view the link I posted. That was my intent anyway.

For those interested in more 10th Mountain songs, check out the following page, which has links to a few MP3 files:

http://10thmountaindivisiondescendants.org/tribute.html

Thanks for the link Lowell.

Bud Halley was a family friend who belonged to L company in the 86th. He used to sing that song to my mom while teaching her to ski at Big Bear in California. She in turn would sing it to me years later when I learned to ski at Mission Ridge.

A cool piece of history, and a silly song that brings back fun memories.

"... You take the kids, the car, and the keys, just leave me my wax and my skis..."

We learned lots of those songs from the Cowan boys when we worked at Trapp Lodge in Stowe. When the season ended we would head north. Lots of singing around smokey campfires in the Gaspe while the rain soaked wool dried, wiskey was sipped, and tales told. We even did some skiing!

Reply to this TR

december-20-2015-pnw-powder
jtack
2015-12-23 11:21:28