Home > Trip Reports > Dec 19, Hyak

Dec 19, Hyak

12/19/15
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by powski3 on 12/19/15 5:19am
Couple laps on Hyak were very fun this morning. Beautiful cool day with sunbreaks and about 10 inches of light snow (incredibly light for Hyak). Lotta people out and good vibe. Pretty tracked out but still fresh turns if you know where to look. Lifts aren't turning yet but they were doing some grooming of the nordic and cat roads so probably won't be long. Wish they would keep the lifts turned off all winter there...

Stomped on a few steeper rollovers under the lift and didn't get any sluffing much less cracking or slabiness. Everything seems pretty right side up and non-wind affected at that elevation (3-3.5k north and south facing).

I'll stick this here since there's several Hyak threads already:
12/20 (Sunday) morning was good! There were several inches additional new snowfall and it snowed moderately hard the whole morning, but it is definitely getting denser with the warming trend.

We did one lap on the backside and one on Hyak Face. The lower mountain is groomed for a fantastic uptrack. It was my first time skiing here and I'll definitely be back regularly.

Video from the day

Hit the nordic trail system 12/19 and then a couple lift runs on Silver Fir in the fading afternoon light. The nordic groomers have not yet linked up through Hidden Valley or Rockdale canyon so things were a little limited. Lot of hikers and dogs at Hyak; tracks up Mt. Catherine. Unfortunately Medic One was at the Silver Fir base area with some people talking about an in-bounds snow immersion accident.

Did a couple laps 12/20.  The runs were pretty well tracked by the time I showed up (what can I say I slept in and watched the early football games).  The new snow formed a nice cohesive slab in some places, which made me thankful for such awesome relatively low angled terrain.  And thanks for everyone that didn't slack this morning for kicking in such a nice uphill trail for me:)

Hyak was crowded but definitely fun this weekend.

On Saturday a friend followed the upper crossover trail from Silver Fir to Hyak. He encountered a lone snowshoer on his way to Hyak Lake who was trapped in a tree well under the powerlines.  The snowshoer was unable to get out on his own. He was lucky my friend crossed paths with him. 

Was up there on Saturday.  Was a little disappointed at the number of dogs just running around, even some leaving some stinky surprises on the skin track and elsewhere.  I usually don't mind dogs while out, but it was a bit much this time.

welcome to the summit at snoqualimie where if the poop gets slung were all good.

Reply to this TR

dec-19-hyak
powski3
2015-12-19 13:19:12