telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 06:31 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Dec 19th, Hyak
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dec 19th, Hyak  (Read 2767 times)
powski3
5Member

Dec 19th, Hyak
« on: 12/19/15, 01:19 PM »

Couple laps on Hyak were very fun this morning. Beautiful cool day with sunbreaks and about 10 inches of light snow (incredibly light for Hyak). Lotta people out and good vibe. Pretty tracked out but still fresh turns if you know where to look. Lifts aren't turning yet but they were doing some grooming of the nordic and cat roads so probably won't be long. Wish they would keep the lifts turned off all winter there...

Stomped on a few steeper rollovers under the lift and didn't get any sluffing much less cracking or slabiness. Everything seems pretty right side up and non-wind affected at that elevation (3-3.5k north and south facing).

bbrelje
5Member

Re: Dec 19th, Hyak
« Reply #1 on: 12/20/15, 01:43 PM »

I'll stick this here since there's several Hyak threads already:
12/20 (Sunday) morning was good! There were several inches additional new snowfall and it snowed moderately hard the whole morning, but it is definitely getting denser with the warming trend.

We did one lap on the backside and one on Hyak Face. The lower mountain is groomed for a fantastic uptrack. It was my first time skiing here and I'll definitely be back regularly.

Video from the day
« Last Edit: 12/20/15, 02:50 PM by bbrelje » Logged
dkoelle

« Reply #2 on: 12/20/15, 01:50 PM »

Hit the nordic trail system 12/19 and then a couple lift runs on Silver Fir in the fading afternoon light. The nordic groomers have not yet linked up through Hidden Valley or Rockdale canyon so things were a little limited. Lot of hikers and dogs at Hyak; tracks up Mt. Catherine. Unfortunately Medic One was at the Silver Fir base area with some people talking about an in-bounds snow immersion accident.
thunderchief
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 12/20/15, 06:29 PM »

Did a couple laps 12/20.  The runs were pretty well tracked by the time I showed up (what can I say I slept in and watched the early football games).  The new snow formed a nice cohesive slab in some places, which made me thankful for such awesome relatively low angled terrain.  And thanks for everyone that didn't slack this morning for kicking in such a nice uphill trail for me:)
melchap
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 12/21/15, 08:15 AM »

Hyak was crowded but definitely fun this weekend.

On Saturday a friend followed the upper crossover trail from Silver Fir to Hyak. He encountered a lone snowshoer on his way to Hyak Lake who was trapped in a tree well under the powerlines.  The snowshoer was unable to get out on his own. He was lucky my friend crossed paths with him. 
ajpederson
1Member

« Reply #5 on: 12/21/15, 02:21 PM »

Was up there on Saturday.  Was a little disappointed at the number of dogs just running around, even some leaving some stinky surprises on the skin track and elsewhere.  I usually don't mind dogs while out, but it was a bit much this time.
flowing alpy

« Reply #6 on: 12/23/15, 01:08 PM »

welcome to the summit at snoqualimie where if the poop gets slung were all good.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.