Home > Trip Reports > Dec 3, 2005, Hogsback

Dec 3, 2005, Hogsback

12/3/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 12/3/05 5:54am
In the running for best day ever! 24" of that fresh stuff (close to Utah grade )we all been talking about. We were protected by our Tele Angels. 3 skiers set the uptrack to Hogsback ist bowl.We had saliva running down our cheeks  watching them drop in and do some fine powder turns. Ah but the real goods lie ahead.This time it was our turn to further the track to the lower shoulder of Hogsback and drop in for the Lake Miriam runs.Good vis , Good coverage and just some top sluffing. We had help at the bottom setting the up track.24 'down to a crust and about 4' total.Cold temps are working to keep the fresh fresh.Mostly cloudy with just teases of veiws to the east.
HAd two other parties help set the up track out of Lake Miriam and then a solo Tele Angel on Scotty bobs and  with more power than D9 connect the link to the fast outtrack. Snow was lightly wind etched in the  saddle and around ridgetops.
Slope angles we skied were 30* to 35*. I did some heavy jumping and cutting on test slopes ,nothing but minor sluffing.
(Just updating the picture links below which someone had mentioned disappeared on this thread - sorry about that, I've had some issues finding a spot to post pictures where the url doesn't change on me.)

It was an amazing day up there. ;D  Thanks to those ahead who set perfect skin tracks - tough moving in that much snow!

A picture looking up First Bowl:

Andy:

Sounds like you ran into Chris on his scotty bobs.   thrashed the resort on fri in big fluffs of pow had to work on the 4th but got back there on sun and mon.  the snow is still good but a little set up from the wind on sunday.lots of tracks back there now.  Ever do the north face of the southern rim, that's the best shot of all.

Reply to this TR

dec-3-2005-hogsback
Robie
2005-12-03 13:54:45