Home > Trip Reports > December 17, 2015, Hyak

December 17, 2015, Hyak

12/17/15
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 12/17/15 2:52am
Quick trip to the Pass before work.  Didn't see anyone in the parking lot, so it was a happy surprise to have several fellow morningpeople descend out of the murk.

Sustained moderate snowfall, prominent east wind. Skiing was middling; variable and a little trappy. Below the switchback, there was an unsupportable crust. Above, the snowpack had a slightly upside-down feel, making for slightly trenchy skiing.  New snow of an inch or so at the base, couple inches up top.

Where the crust was present, the new/old bond was fairly poor. Skiing the liftline, ski cuts didn't get anything moving, but after descending to the crusty snow, sluffs were willing to run on steeper rolls.  A quick hand pit near the top of the liftline found a moderate, but planar, shear 6-8" down.

Tried out a rando-race suit I'd purchased for cheap in the Spring. They look silly, but transitions are darn fast when you never have to take your pack off. Plenty warm with a shell on, even in blowing snow. Just don't stop.

Impressive tractor-trailer wreck on the way home, which had blocked all lanes. Trailer was torn open, pallets strewn on the highway. Thanks, WSDOT, for clearing it so well!

Winter wonderland down to just above Exit 34, snow sticking again at the Hwy 18 hill.

I'll wear my suit too...after I let you sacrifice yourself to gain social acceptance for the rest of us. ;)

pictures of the suit!!!

and thanks for the great shot of the tree and the undeserved shout out :)

@jake: I'm pretty sure I already took one for the team with this 2013 thread.

@Erik: one of the myriad joys of skiing alone is that nobody photographs your mistakes :)!

Reply to this TR

december-17-2015-hyak
Charlie Hagedorn
2015-12-17 10:52:12