Home > Forum > Instruction at Snoqualmie - Returning after hiatus

Instruction at Snoqualmie - Returning after hiatus

• jared_j
  • [jared_j]
More
16 Dec 2015 10:03 #225298 by jared_j
I posted this on NW Hikers, but shoulda posted here first.

I learned to ski as an adult and did some resort riding and easy / low commitment touring in the mid 2000s with what I would describe as intermediate skill / proficiency. I spent five years on the east coast not skiing (mostly mountain biking), and returned to the PNW 18 months ago. Due to the light snow year last winter I only got out a couple of times. I was extremely rusty.

I'd like to do one or two 1-on-1 sessions with an instructor in-bounds (preferably at Snoqualmie pass). My belief is that such sessions would likely be good "accelerators" to getting skill and confidence back via helping me with technique. Additionally, while I have time to ski, it's not a ton. In general I've had positive experiences from "throwing money at the problem" in the form of getting focused instruction (as opposed to solely the apprentice model where one goes out with experienced folk and gradually picks things up).

I'm leery of just throwing myself at the mercy of their instructor staff by randomly signing up and being assigned to one. If anyone here has recommendations on instructors, please PM me. Ideally I'd look for someone who's available on weekday mornings first thing when the lifts get going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Dec 2015 19:56 #225321 by Randito
Here is a list of the folks that teach the teachers

www.psia-nw.org/who-we-are/alpine-examiners-clinic-leaders/

More
21 Dec 2015 08:37 #225376 by khyak
Call up Summit Snowsports private line. 425-434-6748. Leave a message if they don't answer, they will call back. Quiz them on best suited instructors. Ask about certification level. Level 3 is the best. Certification level does not guarantee a great instructor, but certainly helps. It's not rocket science. Poor technique is pretty obvious. Number one, get out of the back seat. While you can get away with leaning back in deep snow, once you hit hardpack you should be centered on your skis. You should be pressuring the tips of your skis on groomed or hardpack.
Second, don't over-rotate your upper body. Your upper body should generally always be pointed downhill. If you finish a turn or come to a stop your upper body should be pointed downhill, not across the hill or uphill. This is also when your hands come into play, if you allow your hands to drop behind your torso it makes it extremely hard to start turning in the other direction. So, hands up, keep them in front of your torso, which is generally always pointing in a downhill angle. Skiing is hard. It takes lots of practice to become good. If you don't pay for lift served, it is extremely hard to improve.