Home > Forum > Ski Jacket Recommendation

Ski Jacket Recommendation

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
15 Dec 2015 09:42 #225279 by androolus
Ski Jacket Recommendation was created by androolus
Can anyone recommend a good inbounds ski jacket? I recently bought a nice new arc'teryx shell and discovered it didn't have a ski pass sleeve pocket for my ticket. I guess I might as well save it for touring anyway, so now I need to find a good inbounds shell jacket. Obviously I want it to have a ski pass sleeve pocket in the left arm. And uh...it needs to come in size XXL.

It seems like most shells don't have this feature anymore, and the only way to tell is by looking at an online photo if the website includes a side photo. I see that the dynafit beast jacket does,,,,but largest size is XL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 10:41 #225280 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
Which resorts use RFID readers? Or maybe, which ones don't..? Haven't had to show my ticket at White since they went that way. Ticket seems to read ok from fleece shoulder pocket under my shell. Maybe that is part of why some have been dropped on shells? Still think the shell pocket is a good idea, though

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
15 Dec 2015 10:49 #225281 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
Crystal, Stevens, and of course whistler use them. Yeah maybe I could get an RFID placed under my skin, which would be really handy for those sunny spring shirtless days.

I guess the real synopsis is that I was an idiot for not thinking about this when I bought my latest jacket. I guess I could "Return Everything Incorporated" still.

Luckily the scummit doesn't use RFID's yet.

More
15 Dec 2015 10:59 #225282 by Micah
Replied by Micah on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
I haven't had trouble with the RFID systems at Stevens or White Pass when I put the ticket in my pants pocket. (I usually wear pants when lift skiing.) Your jacket will probably work fine.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
15 Dec 2015 11:28 #225283 by androolus
Yeah I'm pretty clueless...my jacket has front pockets so I could just give the RFID reader a hug....duh.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Dec 2015 06:45 - 16 Dec 2015 07:09 #225297 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
I avoid using my expensive backcountry jacket and pants for lift skiing,  saving them for actual touring.  Grease drips from chairs, edges cuts on pants, pizza grease from the cafe all shorten the life of spendy foul weather gear.

Sierra Trading Post and other online sites typically have plenty of ski and snowboard jackets and pants.   The uglier the pattern the deeper the discount.  The hideous orange jacket and garish green pants I use for lift skiing now cost under $200.   Makes it easy for my kids to find me on the slope, though in high school, they didn't like approaching too closely, but they are over that now and have accepted their dad as a goofball.

One feature I like on snowboard pants are the inner thigh vents with mesh, helps keep things cooler, but snow stays out in a crash and when you are riding the chair and the breeze is blowing, pressing legs together cuts the breeze without touching the zippers. The other great thing about snowboard pants for lift skiing is that many of them have insulation in the butt -- making sitting on a cold wet chair more comfortable.

Waterproof /breathable performance won't be as good, but when the weather is really bad, the lodge is always available to dry out a bit, unlike while touring.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
16 Dec 2015 10:10 #225299 by androolus
Thanks for the recommendation Randy. Yeah I want to keep my facing jacket clean.

More
16 Dec 2015 17:05 #225306 by Bronco
Replied by Bronco on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
Might check Eddie Bauer's website, I picked up a great jacket there for lift riding. Heavy duty and not real breathable but big internal mesh pockets, arm pocket for my pass and powder skirt.

More
17 Dec 2015 14:16 #225317 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation
Steazy in the BC, sleazy in the front side??? Michael won't be happy..

• ski2fly
  • [ski2fly]
More
17 Dec 2015 20:10 #225322 by ski2fly
Replied by ski2fly on topic Re: Ski Jacket Recommendation

Crystal, Stevens, and of course whistler use them. Yeah maybe I could get an RFID placed under my skin, which would be really handy for those sunny spring shirtless days.

I guess the real synopsis is that I was an idiot for not thinking about this when I bought my latest jacket. I guess I could "Return Everything Incorporated" still.

Luckily the scummit doesn't use RFID's yet.

Crystal is not using the GO card anymore. No more RFID. They often didn't work so they needed an attendant anyhow. Paper tickets now. As for their pass not sure what's up there. Summit season pass uses bar code reader so you need to have your pass out unless it can read it through a clear plastic pocket. My pass is in a loop in my thigh pocket easy enough to pull it out as needed without worrying about it snapping off in some bizarre freak event and going bye bye.
As for jackets, maybe you should spend some time in the Arcteryx first and figure out what you like/don't like before buying more stuff. Cheers S2F