Home > Trip Reports > Dec 13 Blewett Pass, Tronsen Meadow area

Dec 13 Blewett Pass, Tronsen Meadow area

12/13/15
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by bbrelje on 12/14/15 12:46pm
Got a late start heading to Yodelin for some trees on this considerable avy day to find that the parking lot was completely full from Stevens overflow parking! Instead, we diverted to Blewett Pass which allowed for much more solitude, but we didn't begin skinning until after noon so the tour was pretty limited. We made it as far as the NE/E flank of Diamond Head via some XC trails before meeting another pair of skiers on their way down from the DH/Windy Knob saddle area, reporting windscoured, rocky conditions. We called it a day and found some really nice pow in the low angle trees on the north facing rib off DH on the way back to the car. The glimpses of blue sky were a plus.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5788/23733625356_4babded42a_b.jpg" />
Looking across US 97:

Windy Knob from the NE flank of Diamond Head
It was nice to chat with you Sunday - that was Cascadian Kim and I who met you on our way out. I'm looking forward to getting back up there when there's better coverage on the wind-scoured slopes.

Here's a photo of Cascadian Kim looking across at Windy Knob before making a hasty retreat into the trees.

Uh, that spot almost always looks like that, even in great winters. Is that the slope you were thinking of skiing? I assume you made your approach on the xc trail.

I should be up in that area this weekend or next week. My thoughts are that there will be going snow in the vicinity but not necessarily at the pass. Exact location really matters in the 97 valley.

That was our first time in the area and we did come up by the XC trail. It was blowing hard and the Knob was pretty bony so we turned around. We were hoping to cross under the Knob and ski the low angle north slopes farther to the east.

Be careful back there, the terrain is pretty complex. If you were planning to traverse the north side of the knob from the spot where your photo was taken you will cross under a few avalanche paths that are almost always heavily loaded.

Thanks for the head up, aaron_wright.

Reply to this TR

dec-13-blewett-pass-tronsen-meadow-area
bbrelje
2015-12-14 20:46:02