telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 09:38 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  December 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Dec 13, 2015, Arrowhead Mtn (Stevens)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dec 13, 2015, Arrowhead Mtn (Stevens)  (Read 2731 times)
radka

Dec 13, 2015, Arrowhead Mtn (Stevens)
« on: 12/13/15, 09:36 PM »

We started up around 9am with no other cars parked at the DoT shoulder. That could only mean one thing wed be doing all the trail breaking. Soon we encountered open water running over the road, so it could also mean that Arrowhead is best done a little later in the season. Its possible this is a new washout but Im not sure since weve only ever been here in March and the road has always been snow covered here.

We reached the clear cut at the end of the road 2-3 hours later and had lunch (~4500). Our memory of this slope was one of much more openness, so either the new growth there is on steroids or the snowpack just isnt that fat yet. Likely some combination of both. The snow was pretty stellar at this point cold, dry, and fresh. Wed had great weather thus far and started to get snow flurries now which were intermittent and eventually lead to more sun breaks.

We hit the bottom of the money slope (~5100) and saw a bunch of boulders that were not quite covered. Digging pole pits here and there, we saw the new snow had a good bond to the rain soaked snow below. The rain crust was about 3 inches thick and under that was softer rain saturated snow, that kind of felt hollow or airy. We did, however, observe the new storm snow would occasionally pop off on kick turns, but only at the corner and with little propagation.

Once above 5500, wind became a factor. We found isolated pockets of wind affected storm snow and 3 wind slabs that would propagate several feet. 150 shy of the summit (no biggie been there plenty of times) we turned around at 2:45pm. We stayed in the trees until below 5500. We were able to get the 3 wind slab to react a few times but nothing bigger than 6 feet wide X 10 feet longer. Where wind had not affected the new snow, we only managed to get some sluffing. Despite not all the boulders being completely covered, we found a few hundred feet of absolute hero turns with cold smoke trailing us.

We made it back to the road at 4:15pm and had smooth sailing back to the car just before headlamp was needed. The snow from here down had become quite a bit heavier. Left the DoT at 5pm.

Chuck C

Re: Dec 13, 2015, Arrowhead Mtn (Stevens)
« Reply #1 on: 12/14/15, 05:43 AM »

Nice to see Mr Chris skiing the way evolution intended him too again.
Dave_R

« Reply #2 on: 12/14/15, 09:40 AM »

...though I am having a tough time making him out in the pictures.  Perhaps if he wore some bright clothing?   Wink

Seriously, nice photos!  Debbie & I were with 50,000 close personal friends on the frontside of Stevens, shaking the rust out of our legs.  Thanks for the reconnaissance.

-Dave
garrettww
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 12/14/15, 06:03 PM »

Stellar photos as usual, Radka! Thanks for taking the time to share them along with all the snow beta.
RLS
1Member

« Reply #4 on: 12/16/15, 08:51 AM »

Lovely photos, as always Radka. It's interesting that snow scenes, even in color, often have a b&w feeling to them. But with Chris' colors added in they really pop!

Looks like a fun trip. -R
Kenji

« Reply #5 on: 12/17/15, 10:35 AM »

Looks like you guy had a fun trip.  I suspect there isn't enough snow cover short-cutting the road?
cchapin

« Reply #6 on: 12/17/15, 11:18 AM »

Looks like you guy had a fun trip. I suspect there isn't enough snow cover short-cutting the road?
You could probably skin the shortcut but I wouldn't want to ski down it yet.
avajane

« Reply #7 on: 12/20/15, 12:53 PM »

...though I am having a tough time making him out in the pictures. Perhaps if he wore some bright clothing? Wink

A few years ago a photographer friend told me he wouldn't take my picture anymore if I didn't ditch my dark blue parka.

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.