Home > Trip Reports > December 13, 2015, Skyline Ridge

December 13, 2015, Skyline Ridge

12/13/15
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 12/13/15 11:12am
Susan, Kristi, and I headed off on an ultimately rambling tour along skyline ridge and beyond. Snow was good, unexpectedly unreactive, and untracked. Saw but 5 people before 3 pm.

Snowed, as predicted, light to moderate showers all day, adding to the already impressive pile of fluff (pole penetration of at least 50cm everywhere). Storm slab was evident, both near a crust at least a foot down and in today's newest precipitation, but it didn't want to run, same with soft windslab up high. Kicking a small cornice onto a ~25-30 degree slope yielded cracking, but little more.

Over at the Stevens resort, though, the patrol expended more bombs than I've ever heard them use, a strategic assault on Mt. Avalanchistan, so they probably found more reactive snow than we did.  We kept our slope angles mellow; perhaps that was enough.

Great to say hi to Dan and crew on the way home!

More later, gotta run now.
A great day indeed!!! Thanks for the report, Charlie!

That first picture is really nice!  Almost better than Kristi's smile. (

Well then... Nice to see you too. 😁 I thought you looked familiar Charlie.(guy with dog on road up)

I counted 20+, but a dozen where from an AAI avi class.

Ran into ajscott(you seen us and mutts on ridge above lake).

Skied with a group of 3 random most of the day.. No observations worth noting other then it was the best pow  day I've had in far too long.

More please!

Reply to this TR

december-13-2015-skyline-ridge
Charlie Hagedorn
2015-12-13 19:12:08