Home > Forum > Touring in the Hood area.

Touring in the Hood area.

• ducktherope
  • [ducktherope]
More
03 Dec 2015 11:50 #225123 by ducktherope
Touring in the Hood area. was created by ducktherope
Apologies for starting a topic when I am pretty sure everything I am asking is answered already in a variety of previous topics.

We are new to the Portland area (from Seattle'ish) and a bit rusty touring wise but would like to get back after it. We would be grateful and more than happy to buy a beer/wine for any info on the below. Avy 2 certified and have glacier training.

1. Is there a good book or website (besides this one) that will talk about tours in the area?
2. Is there anything casual and not super committing that can be lapped (thinking Hyak like)?
3. What are the resort policies in regards to touring? In particular can I skin legally next to and up Palmer during normal hours of business without purchasing a pass?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nwboarder82
  • [nwboarder82]
More
03 Dec 2015 14:46 #225125 by nwboarder82
Replied by nwboarder82 on topic Re: Touring in the Hood area.
Welcome to the Portland Area. There are several non-committing tours around the Mt Hood area. Several are not accessible until the snowpack has built up. The Palmer snowfield is probably your best option for non-committing tour for early/ low snowpack season. There are several other tours in the vincinity such as Illumination Saddle and Hogsback area.

The book you are look for is called "Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Routes in Oregon" by Dr. Chris Van Tilburg. I'll post a link down below.

In regards to skinning within the resort, you can skin along Timberline's cat track/snowshoe trail next the Salmon River overflow lot to the top of Palmer chairlift. However, Mt Hood Meadows has strict No Uphill Traffic policy. The only two places they allow any uphill traffic are Vista Ridge and the entrance of Heather Canyon runout. The Heather Canyon area is part of their Avalnache Reduction Zone. You have to check the website prior to your departure to see if they closed area before skinning on their trail. I'll post a link down below to reference their uphill policy. I have read one trip report about two skier greeted by Mt Hood Meadows ski patrol at the bottom of the Superbowl area after dropping in on the W'yeast face. They were told they couldn't cut through the resort and had to follow Vista Ridge back to the parking lot. I haven't heard of any similar experience at Timberline.

If you want avoid the resorts entirely, you can always tour on the North side of Hood in the Tilly Jane area. It's a 3 mile hike or skin (depending on snowpack) to the Historic Cabin Area.

Good Luck

Backcountry Ski and Snowboard Routes in Oregon

Mt Hood Meadows Avalanche Reduction Zone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.