Home > Trip Reports > Nov 30 - Dec 1, 2015, Winchester Hut, + skyline

Nov 30 - Dec 1, 2015, Winchester Hut, + skyline

11/30/15
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Rowan Stewart on 12/2/15 7:44am
Disclaimer:
first light on baker

The skies were pefectly clear, and kept our spirits high, despite the very firm snow conditions. Ski crampons would have made the ascent much easier. Upon reaching the hut, we enjoyed an hour or more of soup and literature before I got restless and suggested we actually go ski something.

We made a couple of short laps down the north side of Winchester, finding a few pockets of good snow, but mostly windboard, breakable crust or ice.

Two laps was plenty, so we retreated to the hut for more lounging.  Some extra special chocolates and a big dinner was a great way to cap off the day. The Incoming weather front slowly engulfed Mt Baker as the sun set.

In the morning we awoke to cloudy and windy weather, and decided to head for the truck. The descent down Winchester's bony south facing slopes was surprisingly enjoyable, and as per usual, the best turns of the trip were found between switchbacks in the road.

While driving back down the highway, the skies seemed to be clearing, so I convinced Conrad to go for an afternoon ski up to skyline divide. We drove to within half a mile of the th, then got stuck, and spent 45 minutes getting unstuck and turned around. At the crack of 2:15 pm we started skinning up the road. The T100 is still hanging on the side of the road.

FWIW, that truck could easily be recovered by some of the serious 4x4 enthusiasts who frequent the roads up there. The owner might try to get in touch with those people somehow if he wants his truck back.

We topped out on the ridge just in time to enjoy another alpine sunset, then found some decent snow on north facing slopes before swacking our way down to the road by headlamp.

Beer and pizza at North Fork Brewery was as good as ever.
I'm pretty sure it's a western kid's truck. Wouldn't be too hard with something to push the snow up there and a winch.
Got any pics of the twin lakes wash out? Wondering if my 4runner could make it.

there is a shot of the washout at the end of the video that should give you some idea.

There isn't much point in pushing through the washout as it's only a 5 minute walk to where the road is blocked by a wet slide from the washout.  It looks like some red paint was left behind on the gravel when someone drove back out.

How far would one make it up the Deadhorse road if one was not happening to be skiing with Conrad from AK who has a badass truck but was instead with John Doe from the lower 48 with a plain jane truck?

Reply to this TR

nov-30-dec-1-2015-winchester-hut-skyline
Rowan Stewart
2015-12-02 15:44:59