Home > Forum > yodelin coverage?

yodelin coverage?

• Stairmaster
  • [Stairmaster]
More
24 Nov 2015 14:29 #225062 by Stairmaster
yodelin coverage? was created by Stairmaster
Looking to get some info on how the coverage is at yodelin. Thinking about poking around up there, but not sure if its worth the drive.

Thanks in advance! Lets hope for some more snow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2015 15:06 #225066 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
I tried Yodelin as an early season destination many years ago...it wasn't a good idea. I don't remember the details on how much snow there was at the time but my guess is that there is still a lot of brush on the road heading up there and both the forest and clearcuts probably have a lot of barely covered logs.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
24 Nov 2015 15:19 #225067 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
haven't been up, but Pete has it right. Don't be fooled by that tiny slope above the upper parking lot: Alder and barely covered trees are the rule until there's quite a bit more base.

• Stairmaster
  • [Stairmaster]
More
24 Nov 2015 15:32 #225068 by Stairmaster
Replied by Stairmaster on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
I had some friends skin up at Stevens on sat and they said the coverage was okay. No sharks or coreshots, but we thought about wandering down the road for a quick lap.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Nov 2015 21:24 #225071 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
A lot of brush and FLT have grown in Yodelin in the past several years it is pretty brutal until there is at least 50 inches on the Stevens Pass SNO-TEL

The current reading is 8 inches.

Until the ski area opens, skinning the runs as Stevens is your best bet -- Kehr's aka Big Chief requires minimal coverage and you don't have to deal with creek crossings.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
25 Nov 2015 06:50 #225072 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: yodelin coverage?

Until the ski area opens, skinning the runs as Stevens is your best bet -- Kehr's aka Big Chief requires minimal coverage and you don't have to deal with creek crossings.

I skied up at Stevens during the road closure. The coverage on the northern aspects is good, but the shrubbery is out everywhere else. Chief doesn't look ski-able to me.  I checked on a friend's cabin at Yodelin.  There might have been 6" on the ground at the highway pullout.

I was focused on the washout from the Tuesday rain event, but you can see Yodelin ski area across the highway in the background. This was taken on Friday.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Nov 2015 07:24 #225073 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: yodelin coverage?

it is pretty brutal until there is at least 50 inches on the Stevens Pass SNO-TEL

Good rule of thumb for the tree/meadow skiing at both Stevens area as well as Snoqualmie. IME there will still be some healthy potential for wood contact at 50" but with care it can be fun.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Nov 2015 12:51 - 26 Nov 2015 20:17 #225075 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
Mike,

How far down could one reasonably ski at the ski area? Thinking of heading-up for a couple self-powered laps tomorrow before going home to feast. I reckon they've got 2 feet at the top of Skyline, making laps up high doable, but it's below 4500' that has me concerned...

UPDATE: proper parking spot selection made for a car-to-car experience. Coverage was spotty below 4.5k but a cat-packed swath up Brennan's made for easy access to the substantially fatter snowpack higher up.

• Stairmaster
  • [Stairmaster]
More
25 Nov 2015 16:13 #225078 by Stairmaster
Replied by Stairmaster on topic Re: yodelin coverage?
Thanks for the info. I think we will be heading to Stevens for a quick lap before the big feast!

Happy holidays everyone !