Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2015, Dalvik, Northern Iceland

June 7, 2015, Dalvik, Northern Iceland

6/7/15
Posted by cascadekid on 11/20/15 11:52am
There's just enough snow out there to really put some holes in your rock skis. Still, some parts of the world have been under snow (and without sun) for some time now. In the interest of kindling some stoke, here's some goods from our trip to Northern Iceland this June.

Day 1: Surfing the North Atlantic, near Reykjavik
Day 2-3: Snaefelsness Peninsula, ski descent from Snaefaelljokul volcano
Day 4: Middle of nowhere, western iceland.
Days 5: Travel to the North Coast
Days 6-7: Ski mountaineering in Dalvik
Day 8: Skiing Olafsfjordur
Day 9: Back to Dalvik!
Day 10: Roll out!

trip report Part I

trip report Part II 

I highly recommend Iceland as a wild country with many mountains and few people. It's super-friendly to the english-speaking traveler, and there wild here is more wild than we've got anywhere out west.

Imagine a spring where the mountains are universally suited to skiing in shape and access, and the sun never sets. It's a corn farm to rival Iowa.

If you find yourself going there and want some beta, email me!
Looks Like fun! Thanks for the TR .

In the summer of 1995 I biked around the island on the Ring Road, back then it was more than 70% gravel. It was one of the best trips of my life, despite the not so great weather. A return to Iceland has been in my head for a long time and your trip report brought all that back to forefront. I just need go and experience that beautiful virtually treeless landscape again. Great photos! Thanks for TR!

Thanks for the great TR, it all looked like the perfect adventure!

Thanks, Cascade Kid. I was there in early August, and the patches were much smaller. Did you run into Jokull Bergmann (JB) while you were there? He operates Arctic Heliskiing, and is UIAGM-certificated. He's a GREAT guy, and I'm looking forward to returning foir a Solstice Tour week in a few years...

http://www.arcticheliskiing.com/

Thanks for the trip report. My wife and I are planning a trip to Iceland. It looks like you might be in Portland, if you're up to it, I'd love to chat about your trip over a beer sometime.

Yeah sure, just shoot me an email through my website contact form (keeps the spam down)

Reply to this TR

june-7-2015-dalvik-northern-iceland
cascadekid
2015-11-20 19:52:27