Home > Trip Reports > November 15, 2015, Artist Point

November 15, 2015, Artist Point

11/15/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by silaswild on 11/15/15 7:36am
Snowing in Maple Falls this morning was a very good sign. Compact snow on the road and chains required to the ski area was even better.  100+ cars in the lot by 930 was evidence of the unsatisfied demand for powder snow so far this year.  No wind and clearing weather throughout the day was pleasant. 

We found light snow covering increasingly dense support with pole penetration of 30" and ski penetration of 16" or so. Skiing the deep and heavy was difficult for this old man with skinny rock skis, but the kids were tearing it up on their 120mm + boards and spry young legs.  Hope fatter skis make it easier for me tomorrow.  Of course, "there are no bad skis, only bad skiers."  No matter. The stoked crowd and wonderful steep and deep was a beautiful gift.  Freebird and shred will have some nice video up once this pow fest is over.  Tuesday?
I think it would be pointless to start another thread about the same area on the same day.  I hope you don't mind me posting what the conditions were from my point of view.  The snow was heavier than I expected, but coverage made up for it.  I think there were more people up here today than there would be on an opening day at Baker back in the 80s!!

https://youtu.be/cdPUrJBkzFA

I noticed a lot of people hiking in and skiing their regular downhill setup over the last 10 days. Hopefuly the ski area's Thursday opening will take care of their needs, but either way the backcountry will get crowded and some places will get the Yogi Berra status: No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

The backcountry will be more in the backcountry.

author=avajane link=topic=34791.msg143090#msg143090 date=1447706955]
The backcountry will be more in the backcountry.

:D Not bad at all!

100+ cars in November before the ski area is open? That's nuts.

Welcome to the Wash-atch.  ::)

I think the amount of people this weekend at the area is only a prelude to what will happen on powder days this year.  With Mt. Baker ski area opening this Thursday, I can bet first tracks on the main runs will be finished within 15 minutes!  To those riding the lifts on a big powdery day, enjoy your powder minutes!

El Nino! ;D
https://vimeo.com/146065999

More awesomeness. Thanks for sharing, guys!

nice touch with the bird wings

Reply to this TR

november-15-2015-artist-point
silaswild
2015-11-15 15:36:43