Home > Trip Reports > Nov 8, 11, 15 and 18 , 2015, Skyline, Mt. Baker

Nov 8, 11, 15 and 18 , 2015, Skyline, Mt. Baker

11/8/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by runningclouds on 11/9/15 3:52am
FS 30 Deadhorse road is in good shape all the way to the Skyline trailhead, last 3 miles have a thin wet snow cover that will require snow tires/chains if it freezes overnigh. 4WD recommended but 2WD is doable if no new snow.

Hiked for about 45 min before putting skis not far from the ridge.

Skiing was great, there was about 3-5 inches of fresh snow sitting over a layer of heavy snow. Snowcover was quite variable from few inches to 2 feet, picking a good run was essential. Rock skis recommneded.

Pictures will tell more:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/albums/72157661026717481/
Looks like winter from your photos!  Thanks for sharing. 

Nice. This next round of systems should make that a pretty nice destination... Hopefully the road stays passable.

Thanks! It would be nice if the road was plowed, at least few times at the beginning of the season.

Can you tow in with snowmobiles on that side? But plowing would be a great idea.

S t o k e d
Your excellent photos describe the vibe

author=runningclouds link=topic=34737.msg142930#msg142930 date=1447132871]
Thanks! It would be nice if the road was plowed, at least few times at the beginning of the season.

Advocacy came up at NSAW on Sunday and this would be the perfect example of what it's good for.  It wouldn't be hard to form a group that pays a private contractor out of pocket to plow/groom the road for ski access.  Perhaps someone could get money from the state for "special grooming/non motorized" snowparks to go towards this.  It would really help if we could disperse skiers from the Bagley bowl area.

This is what a community up north did to help promote ski touring.

http://www.bbss.ca/hankin

Nuts and bolts are a dedicated touring area with runs cut it was a unemployement program initialy if I remember right. Then plowed access in the season. No motorized assist on site.

This would be an amazing thing to have in lots of places in BC and Washington.

author=KW link=topic=34737.msg142933#msg142933 date=1447161073]
Can you tow in with snowmobiles on that side? But plowing would be a great idea.
Kurt, my Forest Service map shows the entire road is outside Mt. Baker Wilderness area, so it should be possible but I am not sure what the rules for snowmobiling are.

author=Jason4 link=topic=34737.msg142938#msg142938 date=1447180934]
Advocacy came up at NSAW on Sunday and this would be the perfect example of what it's good for.  It wouldn't be hard to form a group that pays a private contractor out of pocket to plow/groom the road for ski access.  Perhaps someone could get money from the state for "special grooming/non motorized" snowparks to go towards this.  It would really help if we could disperse skiers from the Bagley bowl area.

Jason, I have been thinking along similar lines but I have no idea how to start something like this. I have heard about the Hankin area and I believe that is a partnership between BC Parks and a local ski club. How would this work in Washington state? Does anyone know the ballpark figure for plowing the road? It would definetely help with the Bagley Lakes circus and perhaps we are reaching a critical mass for someting like this.

RunningClouds - I sent you a PM, I didn't want to take away from your TR. 

I know some Montana Ice Climbers were successful in setting up the Hyalite Canyon Road plowing with the USFS a few years ago.  I think this guy was largely responsible for it's success, you might try to contact him.

https://www.facebook.com/ConradAnkerOfficial/

In the case of Hyalite Canyon Road, there was an organization or entity established to raise funds and pay the contractor.  Friends of Hyalite or something like that.

We went back on Wednesday, a lot more folks showed up which was nice to see but meant more competition for fresh tracks, still everyone found them.

There is maybe an inch or two more on the road. Drivable to the trailhead, 4WD were fine, 2WD showed up with chains. Driving can be challenging, there is a truck that slid off the road about a mile from the parking lot.

Hiked for about 15 minutes before switching to skins. At Skyline proper the base increased by 2-3 inches with another 5 in of graupel "powder" sitting on top. Avalanche wise: no signs observed. Have fun!

Pictures from Wednesday:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/albums/72157658857905533

author=Bronco link=topic=34737.msg142963#msg142963 date=1447262647]
In the case of Hyalite Canyon Road, there was an organization or entity established to raise funds and pay the contractor.  Friends of Hyalite or something like that.

Thanks for the info Bronco.
http://www.hyalite.org

Nice photos,  and Marky mark took time off from Hollywood to get a core shot?!

Every big cat has to get out of the limelight and wreck som p-tex now and then!!

Yesterday was awesome up there. There were many groups getting laps in the bowl. No noticeable instabilities, although there was evidence that steep slopes to the S end of the first bowl slid in the storm. It's deep out there---felt like 2.5'. Faceshots readily available.

Thanks kamtron! How was the road? Can you skin form the parking lot yet?

We parked 1.8 miles down the road from the trailhead, making it farther than any other cars (and helping 2 folks who got stuck). There is ~ 2' on the road and, needless to say, we could skin and ski the whole trail :-)

Awesome, thanks for the update!

Took a lap up there yesterday, Nov 18th. The highest any vehicle made it was the big curve @ 3450' that left them with a ~2mi walk to TH. Looks like someone's T100 is up there for the winter about 1mi from TH unless they can work some magic before the next storm.

Could skin/ski most of trail still but rain definitely washed some of it away down low. Stout rain crust with a skiff of new snow up to 6000' and probably higher. Best skiing in E'ly low angle concave features that picked up enough snow late in the storm to make for decent turns. Lots of avalanche debris under most steeper features.

Probably not worth the walk but sounds like Glacier Creek Rd was out yesterday with debris on road and the same for Hwy 542 = not many options to be had.

Thanks Lee for the timely update, I was just wondering whether it would be worth going back this weekend, sunny forecast and all. Maybe, maybe not.
Bummer about the truck, the cost of pulling it out might be more than the truck is worth; I just hope nobody got hurt.

I think i might have gotten highest on the road on Saturday, but it came at the cost of having to pull the guy out in front of me a few times while people parked lower down passed us skinning up the road.
Saturday was rad, but definitely a crowd up there. Everything felt really stable then, but with 2 weaker layers, I don't doubt everything moved with higher temps.
Talked to the dude who's truck it is on when we were driving down. They were trying to go get it at 5:30pm in the dark with a smaller truck. I'm guessing it's still there. There were two other cars up there too as I remember. Bummer, but who knows, maybe it'll melt out.....

Reply to this TR

nov-8-11-15-and-18-2015-skyline-mt-baker
runningclouds
2015-11-09 11:52:16