Home > Trip Reports > November 2, 2015, Heliotrope Ridge

November 2, 2015, Heliotrope Ridge

11/2/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Rowan Stewart on 11/3/15 4:47am
Heliotrope has always been good to me in the early season, so after hours of staring at the weather forecasts, I decided to go pay a visit. There was just a trace of snow on the ground at the trailhead, and you can hike to treeline in trail shoes with only slightly damp socks  :)

Once out of the trees the views were spectacular as usual.

Above Hogsback camp I was shocked to see how broken up the ice on the ridge was. There were many open crevasses that I had never seen before.

I followed a skin/paw track up the snowfield, and shortly saw the solo skier and his dog descending.

Prime doggy snow.

not bad snowboard snow either!

The snow was styrofoamy windpacked pow, but rode beautifully.

Aesthetic crevasses

Baker was looking great with her new white dress

There were maybe a dozen other snow sliding enthusiasts up enjoying the conditions. I met a couple from Bellingham and rode most of the day with them. The snow was so fun, we did 5 laps by the end of the day.

The snow flurries and swirling clouds made for magical light.

On our final descent we dropped below the clouds, and hiked out under light falling snow.

After 7 long months off my snowboard, I felt very lucky to find such good conditions.

video
Those are great photos.  I like the snowboard tracks that milk the slope all the way to a crevasse.
New snow is so nice.

Well-played. I shouldn't have trusted the forecast!

Nice TR, photos and video.  ;)

Excellent trip report!  Thank you for sharing!

What a great way to start the week.

did you begin skinning once out of the trees? Or was it a bit of a rocky/snow scramble up the climbers trail?  I may be there Friday and am debating ski touring or ice cragging.

Really nice vid brother. And that looked like really fun sliding. Posted on my FB page and scheduled for tomorrow AM. Thanks!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Shot-8-Freeride-Team-561702940520155/timeline/

Dog track dollar signs! Way better than money! Thanks for the great pic of new snow and smooth swooping turns! Makes me happy to see them!

Thanks for the report! We've been trying to see what shape Heliotrope is in! Looks like you had a good time. Cheers!

Dan, I booted the climbers trail in about 10" of snow. I could have skinned it, but I thought hiking would be faster given how steep it is there. There was a lot of running water on the trail below the treeline, which may now be frozen and treacherous. That would be my main concern as far as trail conditions.

Reply to this TR

november-2-2015-heliotrope-ridge
Rowan Stewart
2015-11-03 12:47:56