Home > Forum > BDTV "know what is below you" slideshow (no pun!"

BDTV "know what is below you" slideshow (no pun!"

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
28 Oct 2015 10:10 - 28 Oct 2015 10:15 #224907 by Jake the Brit
Last night Feathered Friends hosted the BDTV tour which showed 3 short films, and brought a very interesting presentation by Trent Meiseneiemer from the Utah avalanche center.

The presentation seemed very relevant to places with roads under major avalanche-prone bc ski locations. The focus seemed to me to be about knowing what is below you when you ski risky avalanche conditions; IS there a road with a school bus, boy scout troop etc.
I initially thought this was less relevant in Washington state, but if you think about the summer trail to Snow Lake, and the Phantom slide path above it, the stress on knowing what's below you, and behaving accordingly comes alive.

The take-home was:
BC areas are becoming more busy, know what/ who is below you when you take on 'acceptable risk'
Excellent work from Utah Avi Center & the BD sponsors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
28 Oct 2015 15:44 #224910 by nordique
Jake! Way back when, I telemarked with our gang up at Chinook Pass, when Cayuse and Chinook Passes were open--and it was not unusual for some of those folks to set off, accidentally of course, avalanches that would close Chinook Pass for the winter. I'm sure they checked for traffic on Chinook Pass before trying those slopes.

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
28 Oct 2015 15:47 #224911 by nordique

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
29 Oct 2015 11:13 #224912 by Jake the Brit

Is this what you saw at FF?

www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/black-diamond-tv-season-1

That was it. The forecaster Drew Hardestry was actually there, although he didn't speak. The speaker, Trent Meissenheimer was excellent. The movies were pretty good, but most of that stuff is also on the web.

More
01 Nov 2015 07:09 #224927 by Griff
Really great perspective. Though certainly from a "road hazard" perspective SLC is unique as compared to WA. In all my years of touring a slide to the road has almost never been a concern.

But the question of what is below you is ALWAYS a concern. Learned that in HS in my Outdoor Adventure class with rock throwing or trundling. NEVER. So equally so, NEVER set off a slide with people below.

I think this subject was posed by the legend (Silas) once in TR. The question of do you go when you see people in a hazard zone or wait (even if they are fucking up your day)? My response was wait.