telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 03:16 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  October 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  October 14, 2015, Mt. Rainier, Muir TAY COMPLETE!
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: October 14, 2015, Mt. Rainier, Muir TAY COMPLETE!  (Read 2107 times)
kciari
5Member

October 14, 2015, Mt. Rainier, Muir TAY COMPLETE!
« on: 10/15/15, 05:19 PM »

It's no secret that October is traditionally one of the worst months for TAY. With Wednesday off and sun in the forecast, Theresa (turquoise tutu), Amar (hates fun and refused to wear a tutu), and I (pink tutu) set out to see what turns we could find.

Surprise of the day? They were great!

We made it to Paradise and were hiking at the crack of 10:54am. With only a handful of cars in the lot we encountered few hikers on the trail and only a two parties above pebble creek. We made quick time, reaching "skinnable snow" a few hundred feet above Pebble Creek by 12:15pm. Theresa and Amar opted to skin, but I'm a better hiker so I kept on hiking until about 8400', when you get to really solid snowfield action. It's true you CAN skin from about 7400', but with a significant carry I don't recommend it. Easier to just hike.

Skinning was quick, albeit a little icy in places and a little slushy in others. With a few breaks, we found ourselves at Muir around 2:45. We discovered someone has built a fantastic new "sun deck" so we took off our boots and kicked back for a while. Once Amar recovered from his near fainting episode from getting too close to Theresa's stinky boots, we broke out our Rainer beers, Amar made snow coozies to keep them cold, and took a little cat nap in the sunshine.

We left Muir at 4:30pm and made it to the car just after 6:30pm. The skiing was skiing in October, but we found some good patches of white stuff that had corned up quite nicely. Overall the skiing was much better than I would have expected, and we all recommend heading up there asap if you have a chance. We were happy to mark our TAY anniversaries together: 4-years for me, 5-years for Theresa, and 13 or 14-years for Amar. Who can keep track? ;-)

The sunset on the way out was spectacular. I wish I had some good photos - but you know how zee mountain is: so hard to capture her true essence with an electronic device (or on film if you are like a hundred years old).

Watch out for small crevasses, mostly shallow and full of running water, on lower elevations. Be careful to also listen for shallow snow covering raging rivers. Have fun!

* kCrainieroct14.1.JPG (135.44 KB, 653x490 - viewed 1379 times.)

* kCrainieroct14.2.JPG (111.34 KB, 653x490 - viewed 1256 times.)

* kCrainieroct14.3.JPG (173.86 KB, 653x490 - viewed 1271 times.)
« Last Edit: 10/15/15, 05:49 PM by kciari » Logged

I love skiing in a tutu. Find me via #tutusallyear.
mikerolfs

Re: October 14, 2015, Mt. Rainier, Muir TAY COMPLETE!
« Reply #1 on: 10/16/15, 01:04 PM »

Thanks for the fun report and congrats on adding another year to the TAY count.  I suspect that this October will end many a streak.  It would be interesting to see graphed streak ends versus months over time.  I'd expect clusters in September and October of dry years.
David_Britton

« Reply #2 on: 10/16/15, 07:42 PM »

Another excellent report. thanks

I have a different kind of streak going. Ski mid boot fresh in either Sept or Oct on muir, ruth, helio. 5 years on the line now. two weeks to go.
« Last Edit: 10/19/15, 05:55 PM by David_Britton » Logged
jtack

« Reply #3 on: 10/17/15, 04:25 PM »

Nice going! Sounds and looks like a great day, snow beer coolers.......perfect!  But I think I want to be in Mr. Brittons dust for the boot top pow, that's the ticket!
kciari
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 10/20/15, 07:11 PM »

Now I think we all want to get on board with Mr. Britton's plan! I'll bring the beer!

I love skiing in a tutu. Find me via #tutusallyear.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.