Home > Trip Reports > October 14, 2015, Spider Gap

October 14, 2015, Spider Gap

10/14/15
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/14/15 10:56am
I skied what's left of the Spider Glacier today. My buddy Brian told me I should go to Muir instead.  He was probably right.  The snow quality was pretty poor.  Bumpy, mostly rock littered, discontinuous, and hard.  The best thing about the ski was that it was mercifully short. 

There was some new snow on the upper flat basin, and that skied really pretty nice.   The rest was scary.  My dog liked it though. 

Some photos:

Discontinuous snow...

The condition on the north side - looking across Lyman Lake:

A few nice turns on this weekend's snow (I should have come on Sunday!)

This is what the rest of the snow surface looked like.  It skied just as bad as you would expect.

just for fun - here is what the same place looked like last year on 10-24.  There was new snow, but there was also a lot more remnant snow.

Nice! That is some dedication. Those look like great carrying skis ;D

Whenever the tails stuck into the snow support the weight of the ski - conditions are primo!!

Not a short walk out there, solid effort for the snow. More is coming I can feel it

While you did have great company, that's is a long way to take your skis for a walk.  I think Brian was  right.  You certainly logged some serious salt points though!

If Mike Rolfs says it wasn't very good, well..... I think we all know what that means.

I just did the pleasant hike up Monitor Ridge on St Helens and saw a perfect "Rolf's Remnant" that you would love to shred. Picture on Facebook.

Reply to this TR

october-14-2015-spider-gap
mikerolfs
2015-10-14 17:56:49