Home > Forum > Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

• BillK
  • [bkent]
More
28 Aug 2015 17:19 #224753 by BillK
Any thoughts? was created by BillK
I've got a weekend window to get out of the smoke in Sandpoint and want a roadtrip to break in my new car.  My idea is to leave tonight, drive to Hurricane Ridge via Edmonds ferry to be there by tomorrow afternoon, maybe get a mtn. bike ride in  (it's supposed to rain, i know).  Any beta on air quality, bike trails, cool places to car camp overnight Saturday?  Much appreciated!  Oh and I heard there's hot springs nearby.   yum!   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
29 Aug 2015 09:28 #224754 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Any thoughts?
If you're looking for an otherwise-pointless excuse to drive your car for long distances without much hope of any views or inviting weather, by all means head for the Olympics. It'll be rainy, windy, foggy and chilly. Previews: radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=ATX&loop=yes, and cliffmass.blogspot.com

Olympic Hotsprings are nice enough. I've car-camped discreetly at the trailhead, although not in quite a while.

If I was in Sandpoint and wanted to drive a bit plus get in some mountain biking, I'd head for the Kootenays--better weather, better riding, and fewer slippery roots on the trails.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark

• BillK
  • [bkent]
More
31 Aug 2015 16:55 #224757 by BillK
Replied by BillK on topic Re: Any thoughts?
Thanks Mark. As it turns out, it was a bit of an adventure. But worth it. I watched the sun set into the Pacific on Saturday night from Shi Shi Beach in the park. That was Plan B, after the road to Hurricane Ridge was closed by weather and downed trees on Saturday. The road to Neah Bay was pretty hairy, with lots of downed trees, requiring several sudden stops. All in all a great, quick trip.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Aug 2015 19:04 #224758 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Any thoughts?
Way to get out of town. Sounds like you hit some good spots.
the Sequim area is in a bit of a rainshadow, with hiking and biking trails. The Olympic Discovery Trail is excellent though the Dungeness Bridge is out.
Hope you didn't look too hard for snow at HR! :(