Home > Trip Reports > August in the Old Snowy Mountains of Australia

August in the Old Snowy Mountains of Australia

8/15/15
World elsewhere
Posted by Kyle Miller on 8/25/15 8:58am
Adjusting to the summer was a bit too hard so I decided to take a trip down south and put on a snow camping clinic in the Old Snowy Mountains and attend the OZ Splitboard festival in-route to New Zealand for the next 3 months.

We were able to camp on top of Little Twynam which is the 3rd tallest peak in Australia and head out to the famous Western Slopes focusing on Razorback Ridge into the Watson drainage before weather came up and forced us back to camp. Though there may not be a lot of options for steeps they are there and it is a corn skiers heaven.

Splitfest had the biggest attendance in the 5 years since starting and I was able to put on a slideshow focusing on a few of my favorite trips in the Cascades around Rainier and Glacier peak.

All in all it was a great trip and great fun.

Awesome, Kyle.

Thanks Drew, excited to see and hear about your upcoming adventures.

This looks better than my last ski, coming from the PNW.  Thanks for the report!

Any idea how conditiins are in NZ?more trs please.

author=rlsg link=topic=34465.msg142216#msg142216 date=1441042474]
Any idea how conditiins are in NZ?more trs please.

The dreaded SEerly front is coming in and they are calling for 60cms in the Cragieburn Range.

It's epic right now!!!

Cragieburn ooks like a lot of fun when when their is ample fresh...I'm guessing Mt. Hutt is getting blasted too?!

Reply to this TR

august-in-the-old-snowy-mountains-of-australia
Kyle Miller
2015-08-25 15:58:20