Home > Forum > Where to August turns in N.Cascades?

Where to August turns in N.Cascades?

• MattT
  • [MattT]
More
15 Aug 2015 18:58 #224741 by MattT
Looking at the rest of my August schedule and getting worried about fitting in August turns. I will be up in La Conner next weekend for a wedding, and I'm trying to see if there are any accessible snowfields in the N.Cascades that I could hit up on Sunday after the wedding. Hwy20, 530, Mtn Loop Hwy...anyone have a clue? I've never tried to do any summer skiing up north...Google earthing isn't too promising...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
15 Aug 2015 21:44 #224742 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
Trying to do anything in a day is tough.  Arb skied Glacier Peak in a day trip in June: Arb TR but he got to ski a bunch of stuff that you would now have to walk.  Plus, his day started the day before with the drive.  I bet there is still snow on the low angle glaciers in the Kololo area just south of Glacier PK that would be worth the trip, but not for a day trip.  Best wishes to find something close to the car.  I think finding skiing isn't hard, but finding skiing that is easy to access is a trick.

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
16 Aug 2015 08:07 #224743 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
What's your glacier tolerance? Sahale glacier was in very fine skiing shape two weeks ago. Fairly easy access, maybe 3hrs or so of hiking at a decent pace to reach snow.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
16 Aug 2015 11:14 #224744 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
Check Amar's TR on the Squak Glacier on Baker. There should be something skiable on that route without going for the summit, right?
Heliotrope Ridge might have something but I haven't seen a TR from there in weeks.
The most accessible snow is probably out of Paradise.

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
16 Aug 2015 22:37 #224745 by Donnelly_M
Replied by Donnelly_M on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?

Heliotrope Ridge might have something but I haven't seen a TR from there in weeks.
The most accessible snow is probably out of Paradise.   

I was up at Heliotrope Ridge about 3 weeks ago and the bottom 300-400 vertical feet was glacial ice. I figured there was about 500 - 600 vertical feet of okay skiing before reaching the ice, but I think it may be much less than that now.

More
17 Aug 2015 16:13 #224746 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
Heliotrope Ridge would be my go-to for easy access skiing this time of year but that isn't the best conditions report.

• MattT
  • [MattT]
More
18 Aug 2015 18:24 #224748 by MattT
Replied by MattT on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
Thanks to all for the helpful info, glad to hear from the die hards!

The promise of fine skiing on Sahale sounds awesome, but I'll more than likely be alone for this mission so anything but minimal glacial travel is likely not the smartest.

I was up at Heliotrope Ridge about 3 weeks ago and the bottom 300-400 vertical feet was glacial ice. I figured there was about 500 - 600 vertical feet of okay skiing before reaching the ice, but I think it may be much less than that now.

^
Was there at least a ribbon of skiable snow atop heliotrope ridge proper?! the photo here just cuts it out (first pic from the 8/3/15 report): mtbakerconditions.blogspot.com/2015/06/coleman-deming-2015.html

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Aug 2015 20:18 #224749 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Where to August turns in N.Cascades?
Ptarmigan Ridge (west of Artist Point near Mt Baker ski area) is usually a good late summer destination, but I wouldn't be surprised of the snowfields are down to bare ice this year.