Home > Trip Reports > August 11, 2015, Mt. Hood

August 11, 2015, Mt. Hood

8/11/15
OR Mt Hood
Posted by jtack on 8/11/15 11:44pm
I made one lap above Timberline, I was thinking about trying to summit, but we woke to 30-40mph gusts, and my urge was damped.  I was hopeful the wind would let up, or we would get in to more protected terrain, but it was not to be.  The further up the mountain we went the stronger the wind.  My partner abandon the attempt, even though there were new skies to be tried,  I scratched myself to 8800 and had fairly good turns above the machined area, but the machined area was not great, however it surly fits into the easy skiing zone.  Had a visit with one of the groomers, we complained about the low snow, and thought they had been working snow that was over ten years old.  Having never skied Hood it was fun to go check it out, and get the lay of the land for another day.  Always amazing how high wind can affect a mountain.  I'll get a few pics later.

The layout

the up

the snow

wild snow

always something nice

the promised pictures

Thanks for the pictures. It brings back memories of June and August in years gone bye.  ;)

such a brutal snow situation.  That machined snow looks unskiable.  Nice white snow above though.  Thanks for the report.

Hmmm, what do they do to machine the snow?  Run a compactor down it?  Those ridges look like toboggan runs...or is that what corduroy looks like close up and personal?

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=34456.msg142189#msg142189 date=1440021997]
Hmmm, what do they do to machine the snow?  Run a compactor down it?  Those ridges look like toboggan runs...or is that what corduroy looks like close up and personal?

During the dry winter they groomed that pattern in an attempt to retain more snow.

Reply to this TR

august-11-2015-mt-hood
jtack
2015-08-12 06:44:43