Home > Trip Reports > August 5, 2015, Dalvik, Iceland

August 5, 2015, Dalvik, Iceland

8/5/15
Posted by GregLange on 8/10/15 2:49pm
During the planning for my 12-day trip to Iceland with my son, I figured that there would likely be at least a chance that some snow still existed in the higher (above 1500 ft.) altitudes. After inquiring with a few mountain/guiding-related folks, I came across Bergman Mountain Guides. I sent an e-mail to Jokull Bergmann (JB) , owner, about my situation as an around-the-calendar ski addict, and he replied that he was curious about my endeavors, and could likely help me. Given that his hometown, Dalvik, is in the far north of Iceland, I believed him. First, he said that if I had an entire day to spend, that great touring was still available higher and further inland. I said that, regrettably, I only had a few hours, so he told me of Plan B. As luck had it, there were good, smaller snow patches directly above town, and that the approach was only about a hour, and 1000 feet gain. He also told me he could arrange for me to have gear to use. So, after my son and I had driven 650 km last Wednesday (from the far west near Isafjordur), I started my approach at 7:00 PM. Hiking up past some of the many Icelandic sheep, I was able to ski 300 feet of vertical, on nice firm corn. My bigger take-away was that I'll be returning to Dalvik, and JB's guiding acumen, sometime in the next couple of years. I'm deeming it the "Summer Solstice Skiing Saga", as late June still holds great skiing possibility there. If any of you are ever in Iceland, give JB a call; he'll take good care of your skiing ailments! Here's his website address: http://www.bergmenn.com/en/trips/ski-touring
Yeah! :).

Susan and I just got back yesterday from Iceland (without skis) and wanted to point out to TAY that there's lots of hike-to snow, far more than "usual".  Outside of Hrafntinnusker, at Fimmvörðuháls, and anywhere that's high and glaciated (we lucked into a wonderful weather day on Hvannadalshnjúkur), there's skiable, mostly low-angle, snow. In Ólafsfjörður, near Dalvik, and throughout the northern fjords, there's steeper skiable snow. We never saw a ski track.

Glaciated travel is the real deal; we saw the widest thinnest bridge (~4m wide x 0.5 m thick?) I've ever seen on Hvannadalshnjúkur, no sag, with corn on top. It doesn't stop snowing or blowing in any season at 2000m.

Great place; super strange sitting in Seattle wearing shorts and a T-shirt after spending two weeks in a jacket.

Don't hit a sheep. Expect it to rain all day, and the sunbreaks will knock your socks off. Municipal pools/hot-pots are amazing; don't miss the waterslide in Ólafsfjörður.

Nice, Greg.  We skied Iceland in April - I'd love to go back.  Troll Peninsula is good all over.  We stayed in and skied around Siglufjordur, which was beautiful and offered more terrain than we could take advantage of given the weather.  We had less luck in the Western Fjords, again because of weather, but I'd like to take another run at it.

Reply to this TR

august-5-2015-dalvik-iceland
GregLange
2015-08-10 21:49:45