Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Aug 2015 06:53 #224709 by Lowell_Skoog
Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015 was created by Lowell_Skoog

Tom, Steph and Lowell at Wolf Bay Lodge, Minnesota in 2013.

I posted this on Facebook yesterday and realized that several of Steph's friends and acquaintances aren't active there. So I'm sharing this here as well.

Stephanie Jeanne Subak, 12/13/1956 - 8/5/2015

As the news spreads, I sense in those who knew Steph a desire to reach out, but a reluctance to overwhelm her family. Maybe this forum can help.

On August 5, my wife Steph died in a fall during a cross-country backpacking trip in the Sierra Nevada of California. She was with her friends Annette, Martha and Suze, who thankfully were not injured. Husbands Jens, Mike, and Steve have flown to California to support their wives. We are working through the logistics to bring Steph home.

Tom and I are well, we are strong, and we are working through this. Steph was dearly loved in several circles--by her outdoor companions, her friends in the engineering world, the parents we've come to know through Tom's school, and her family. I want to reach out to all of you, and let you know how much we appreciate the friendship you have given to Steph.

I am certain there will be a gathering in Seattle to celebrate Steph's life. No details have been settled yet, but we'll definitely be doing that. I'll pass the word when we know more.

In the meantime, you are welcome to post your thoughts and memories of Steph here. If you would like to send a private message, I recommend that you send me an email. (If you can't find my email address, send me a turns-all-year private message, and I'll reply with my email address.)

Steph was our rock. Tom and I have been blessed.

Lowell, Tom and Steph at the TAY Crystal Fest in 2008.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
08 Aug 2015 07:55 #224703 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Oh man. So sorry to hear this, Lowell. Not sure what to say.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
08 Aug 2015 09:40 #224704 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
My respects, and love to you and Tom.

Todd

• mattfirth
  • [mattfirth]
More
08 Aug 2015 10:09 #224705 by mattfirth
Replied by mattfirth on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Words fail. My deepest respect and condolence to you and Tom.

Matt

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
08 Aug 2015 19:28 #224726 by cumulus
Replied by cumulus on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
really sorry to hear this Lowell (just saw this over on nwhikers). Thinking of you and your son, wishing I could send more than words...

Stefan

More
08 Aug 2015 20:59 #224724 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So incredibly sorry to see this, Lowell, thinking of you and Tom . . .

Greg and Lindsay

• tim place
  • [tim place]
More
09 Aug 2015 07:46 #224725 by tim place
Replied by tim place on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So, so sorry to see this, Lowell. My condolences and thoughts to you, Tom and your entire clan.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 Aug 2015 10:26 #224706 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Very sorry Lowell............

• Big Steve
  • [Big Steve]
More
10 Aug 2015 13:27 #224707 by Big Steve
Replied by Big Steve on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Vibes to you and the family, Lowell

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Aug 2015 13:13 #224708 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
We've determined the date and time of Steph's memorial celebration: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 1 p.m. at The Mountaineers, 7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115. I'll write up a complete notice in a few days, but I wanted to post the date as soon as possible.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Aug 2015 20:17 #224727 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So sorry to hear sad news. Warm thoughts for you, for Tom, and for everyone who knew her.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
11 Aug 2015 20:44 #224729 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
I'm so sorry, Lowell. My heart goes out to you and your Family.

More
11 Aug 2015 21:32 #224730 by Shred
Replied by Shred on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So very sorry to hear this news, Lowell. My sincere condolences to You, Tom , and all who were close and knew your wife.

• runningclouds
  • [runningclouds]
More
12 Aug 2015 14:20 #224733 by runningclouds
Replied by runningclouds on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Sorry for your loss Lowell. Condolences to you and your family.

More
14 Aug 2015 06:02 #224737 by hwy2
Replied by hwy2 on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Lowell my condolences. We've met only a couple times but I wanted to post in support. I'm very sorry.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Aug 2015 17:45 #224738 by Lowell_Skoog
To be published in the Seattle Times on Sunday, August 16, 2015:

Stephanie Jeanne Subak, 58, died August 5, 2015 in a fall while hiking in the Sierra Nevada of California. She was accompanied by dear friends Annette Frahm, Martha Gluck, and Suze Woolf, of Seattle, WA, who fortunately were not injured.

Steph was born on December 13, 1956, in Minneapolis, MN, where she graduated from St. Anthony Village High School and briefly attended the University of Minnesota. She moved to Seattle to continue her studies at the University of Washington. Steph earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UW in 1979.

Around 1980, Steph joined John Fluke Mfg. Co. Inc. of Mountlake Terrace, WA (later Fluke Corporation) as an Electrical Design Engineer. At Fluke she met and secretly courted Lowell Skoog, another Design Engineer and UW graduate. They were married on September 17, 1983. With a few short breaks, Steph worked at Fluke until September 2014. Her career spanned several technical and management levels to become Director of Engineering for the Industrial Products Group. Steph was a leader in the company and a mentor to younger engineers, universally admired for her warmth, intelligence, humor, energy and generosity.

Always active and athletic, Steph deepened her love of the outdoors through adventures with her husband Lowell. She became an alpine ski instructor, achieving PSIA Level 3 certification. She climbed and/or skied hundreds of peaks in the Cascades and Olympics, including all of the Cascade volcanos. In 1991, she learned to fly paragliders, becoming one of the earliest women in Washington to take up that sport. With her husband and friends, she traveled to India, Nepal, Peru, New Zealand, Central and Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Canada, and beyond, to tour, climb and ski.

In 1996, Steph and Lowell were blessed with the birth of their son Thomas. Steph was a loving and devoted mother, always engaged and supportive as she guided (but never pushed) Tom to discover new skills and activities. She savored family trips throughout the world, but especially to her birthplace in Minnesota, where she enjoyed snowy winters in Minneapolis and crystalline summers on Lake Vermilion with her extended family. In 2014-15, Steph took a sabbatical from Fluke to spend more time with her mother and to volunteer as chairwoman of the Roosevelt High Jazz Boosters during Tom’s senior year in high school. In the process, Steph deepened her friendships within the wonderful Roosevelt parent community.

Steph was preceded in death by her father Nick Subak of Minneapolis, MN. She is survived by her husband, Lowell Skoog, and son, Tom Skoog, both of Seattle, WA; mother, Barbara Subak, brother, Brad Subak, and sister, Laura Subak (husband, John Moore), all of Minneapolis. Steph was a loving sister-in-law to Lawrence Skoog (deceased), R. Philip Skoog (wife, Jan Skoog), Anita Skoog Neil (husband, Bill Neil), Gordy Skoog (partner, Kim O'Farrell), and Carl Skoog (deceased), all of the greater Seattle area. She was a cherished aunt to Courtney Cross (Philip), Wendy Gerber and Julie Iriondo; Dana Skoog Questad and Erik Skoog (Gordy), and Nick and Rose Moore (Laura).

A celebration of Steph’s life will be held Saturday, August 29, 2015, at 1 p.m. at The Mountaineers, 7700 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to United Way of Snohomish County (www.uwsc.org/).

More
17 Aug 2015 21:22 #224747 by BillK
Replied by BillK on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So sorry to hear this, Lowell. Blessings and love to you and your family...hang in there.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
19 Aug 2015 14:57 #224750 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
So sad for you and Tom, Lowell. She was and continues to be an extraordinary person.
"I will lift up my eyes to the hills, from where my help comes from." Psalm 121

More
24 Aug 2015 09:17 #224752 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Stephanie Subak, 1956-2015
Lowell, I only met Stephanie once, with you and Tom, at one of the post season backcountry gatherings we used to do at Crystal. She seemed a delightful lady.

It’s Ironic, I know of no other family than yours that has derived more benefit, growth and expansion from the mountains… and yet also suffered more tragedy at their hand.

My sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to you, Tom, and all the other loved relatives and friends that she obviously had. I know that they will all will miss her dearly.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Nov 2015 17:05 #225052 by Lowell_Skoog
A moment of closure on Mt Rainier - November 20, 2015 .