Home > Trip Reports > July 31-Aug1 Mt Daniel

July 31-Aug1 Mt Daniel

7/31/15
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 8/2/15 12:29am
Uninspiring skiing, but a great weekend trip anyway.  Beyond Peggy's Pond I didn't see a soul.  No bugs, smooth snow (all 400 vertical feet of it), waterfalls and ponds.  Squaw Lake and Peggy's Pond are both comfortable for swimming.  Even the glacial tarn at the north side of the Hyas terminal morain is warm.  I had planned to ski the north facing Daniel Glacier, but the Hyas was pleasant enough and the camp spot was unbeatable.  I didn't feel any need to go further than that.  My summer ski kit is so light that even for the little bit of skiing I did, it doesn't seem out of line to carry.  I'm really thankful for the skimo technology.  9oz bindings!  3.5# skis! crazy. 

Scatter Creek.  Nearly dry.

A little pocket of low angle snow. The Hyas Glacier.

Worth more than one run, not awful.

tarn at the bottom of the glacier.  Warm water.  milky.  (from thermal current stirring the silt?)

Peggy's Pond.  Comfortable swimming temp!  Almost everyone I met on the trail said they swam in the lake. 

Moxie enjoying the snow.  She likes snow as much as I do.  One lady I met on the trail said about my dog; "oh look, a rodent of unusual size!"  HA! ROUS
Thanks for the TR, Mike.  Did you wait 'til the end of the month to combine July and August turns? That's what Rusty Knees and Co. did at Paradise/Muir this weekend.
I hope your "quest for light" is an adaptation to the hot climate and long walks, not a permanent shift away from freeheeelin'.  :)

author=telemack link=topic=34445.msg142094#msg142094 date=1438622070]
Did you wait 'til the end of the month to combine July and August turns?

I skied earlier in July in the Enchantments, but I did time this so I could wake up on August 1st at the snow.

author=telemack link=topic=34445.msg142094#msg142094 date=1438622070]
I hope your "quest for light" is an adaptation to the hot climate and long walks, not a permanent shift away from freeheeelin'.   :)

I'm not giving up my free heel!  I prefer to tele when I tour, but summer skiing isn't really touring, so I take the lighter gear.  I'm a fan of the TeleTech system with Scarpa F1 boots.  I won't be moving away from that any time soon.  I still have one back-up pair of F1's.

Reply to this TR

july-31-aug1-mt-daniel
mikerolfs
2015-08-02 07:29:46