Home > Trip Reports > June 25-26, 2015, Glacier Peak south shoulder

June 25-26, 2015, Glacier Peak south shoulder

6/25/15
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 6/28/15 3:18am
This was really Jamie's trip.  He called me on Wednesday and said it's now or never, so now it was.  It's a long way from the car to the top of Glacier Peak.  I'm even more impressed with

We followed the trail and crossed at Foam Creek and that's as far as we got on day 1.  We had the most pleasant camp imaginable.  Bees and butterflys but no mosquitos!, lightest breeze, comfortable temp, grass, and what a view!

Camp:

Thanks to recent warnings, we were aware of the danger to our stuff left at camp.  Jamie hung our sleep kits and his boots from a tree.  My faith was not 100%, and I could imagine the pain of walking out in my ski boots, so I carried my sneakers for our ski.

Fat and Happy:

There is plenty of snow, still a worthwhile ski trip.  Check out the Honeycomb Glacier behind Jamie!

We skinned most of the ascent.  I had considered leaving skins at home, but I was really glad to have them.

On the Cool Glacier:

We met a solo guy from Minnesota on the summit.  He took a photo of us - notice the skis, both pair home built.

From the top of the cool glacier there is a pumice ridge that runs from Disappointment Peak to the top of Glacier Peak.  There is a faint trail up the ridge with a steep snowfield at the top.  From here, it looks completely unlikely that you could ski off the top.  We took our skis anyway and were rewarded with the best skiing of the day from the summit to the ridge crossing level.  If you go soon, definitely take your skis to the top.

Jamie skiing from the summit: Yellow arrow points to the gravel ridge that separates the Cool from the West side.

Skiing from the top!

More of that top pitch.  It was such an unexpected bonus, we were giddy.

Skiing on the Cool Glacier:

Skiing the south shoulder:

Glacier Gap is nearly snow free:

From the flat below Glacier Gap to the White Chuck Glacier, we took a route that allows you to keep your skis on.    Arb showed it on his google earth photo, and we found that it was a great way to go.  Not obvious.  Green shows the good route.  Blue shows the obvious route.

Jamie skiing this gap:

Back at camp, we found all our stuff unmolested.  Just for fun, we didn't change boots until we ran out of snow in the Foam Creek drainage.

Jamie about to put his signature in Foam Creek:

Here is the view from the White River side of the Foam Creek drainage.  It's the first good view you get of the mountain on your way in.   You can assess the summit pitch from here to decide whether your skis go to the top or stay at the gravel ridge.

In typical jtack fashion, this is how Jamie carried his skis, all the way back to the car.

It was a great trip.

Really enjoyed the photo-essay. It think it was so comprehensive that I didn't read a word, oh except for the comment about Tjacks ski transport, and those few words were a rocking-good read! Ha, carry on!

Nice job guys!

Well played!  Nice job snagging those summit turns before the heat wave.

Gilding the Lilly to be sure, but had a few shots to add to the collection, it was a great, all be it long and hot trip, but sure glad we got it in, thanks Mike!

Fantastic camp site.

The long slog

The top

The out

The last drop

Reply to this TR

june-25-26-2015-glacier-peak-south-shoulder
mikerolfs
2015-06-28 10:18:14