Home > Trip Reports > Solstice Mt Baker Boulder-Park

Solstice Mt Baker Boulder-Park

6/15/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by kamtron on 6/23/15 7:08am
Cody and I headed to check out the Boulder-Park cleaver route with grand schemes to climb and ski the Park headwall (beware: this is a dangerous line without any room for error, since the headwall is guarded by a massive 'schrund).

With this in the bag, I can hang up my skis for the season.

First pic shows where we crossed from the glacier onto the face. We had to traverse hard right above the schrund and below the cliffs to gain the headwall.

Second pic is of Cody shredding perfect corn above the cleaver where we left our shoes and roped up. The glacier is really broken, a party of Mountaineers turned back on the standard route due to crevasse issues, but they said it was probably passable.

We had a nice walk out, accompanied by grouse and marmots and plenty of wildflowers. Alpine bliss.
Nice one, Kam. Way to finish in style!

author=kamtron link=topic=34396.msg141893#msg141893 date=1435097334]With this in the bag, I can hang up my skis for the season.

::)

"Can" not "will"

Cody's photo from midway down the steeps

Top dollar, the snow in that last photo looks really good!

Now that's a great ski, well done!

Nice work! Glad you guys had better ski conditions than we had on Adams up high. Though... I guess at ~ 10k it was good on Adams too..

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=34396.msg141900#msg141900 date=1435127729]
Top dollar, the snow in that last photo looks really good!

Yeah it was quite nice at 2 pm! A very thin crust on top of corn-like snow. It was kind of like firnspiegel.

It's funny, 2 years ago when I skied it we encountered similar conditions with a thin crust over softer snow. I wonder if that's a morning sun crust that develops on the east-facing slope?

Nice, way to get after it in the epic summer weather. So many distractions when the weather is this nice.
This line eludes me. Have you skied the North Face of Baker?

Reply to this TR

solstice-mt-baker-boulder-park
kamtron
2015-06-23 14:08:54