Home > Forum > Retirement! It's been a good ride....

Retirement! It's been a good ride....

• MMclimbhigh
  • [MMclimbhigh]
More
22 Jun 2015 07:15 #224632 by MMclimbhigh
Retirement! It's been a good ride.... was created by MMclimbhigh
Well, as they say......"all good things must come to an end". Michelle and I are officially retiring from our TAY adventure. We are wrapping it up at the wonderful number #150. That's thirteen+ years of wonderful times and fantastic memories.

In all honesty, it wasn't terribly difficult. We were fortunate to live at the foot of Mt Baker in the roudy ski town of Glacier. It was just a quick drive up to Austin Pass, Heliotrope Ridge, Twin Lakes, Skyline Divide, etc. There were only a few years of tough times, such as the summer of 2005 when the summer snow was as black as coal and as hard as steel.

Through surgeries, illnesses, slammed work schedules, vacations and the like, we pushed on, month after month. Hats off to all you TAY machines out there. It takes some serious determination to pull this off! Keep doing what you're doing and be proud of your accomplishments. Those of you tough souls who make it through the dreaded summer of 2015 will have much to brag about around the campfire. Finding skiable snow deep into September this year, will be quite the challenge indeed!

For all of our friends who have joined us on these adventures over the years......thank you. We will always cherish the memories. We love you all.

We are relocating to the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado after 15 years in the North Cascades. Yes, I know, there is skiable snow year round in the SJ's. But, we have made an honest and well debated choice, to wrap up our streak. We don't see this as a sad day.......we see it as the end of an epic expedition! It's been a good ride.

Cheers my friends! Keep skiin', smilin' and lovin' life. TAY

MM
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 Jun 2015 09:14 #224634 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
Congratulations!

More
22 Jun 2015 12:40 #224635 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
good on you both.
Best to you in Colorado.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
23 Jun 2015 19:19 #224638 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
15 TAY years with a partner! Can't get much better than that. Thanks for the retirement notice. Best to you in your new home area.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
24 Jun 2015 06:49 #224639 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
You two are already hugely missed. So glad we had a Methow weekend to say goodbye. 150 is a good number to pull the plug. Definitely something to be proud of.

More
24 Jun 2015 07:10 #224640 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
What a wonderful goal, nice going. It sounds like you really enjoyed the path, thanks for the nice report. Best in your new adventures.

• Don Heath
  • [Rusty Knees]
More
25 Jun 2015 12:52 #224641 by Don Heath
Replied by Don Heath on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
Wow!  A good ride, indeed.  It is a strange commitment, this TAY thing.  The rewards are great, and you have a storehouse of memories and tales to tell, I'm sure.  So, you must have officially started sometime around June of 2002.  Nice!  I don't think we ever formally met, but I bet we passed on the slopes from time to time.  Good luck and ClimbHigh in your new home! 
Ski yah later,
Rusty

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Jun 2015 00:08 #224642 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
To Colorado!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jul 2015 07:41 #224643 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
Just like with kids you got to know when enough is enough.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
08 Jul 2015 22:20 #224664 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
You two. Getting' all misty eyed now.
Yes, as Gregg said, of course you are already missed. Mark, no one else would ever be, ahem, "game" enough to go up the Roman Wall while it's blowing sustained 50 knots with me. In January. Cheers mate. So grateful to you two for all the memories - all the life list skis, all the time being spiritually filled in our church, the North Cascades and Baker; and especially getting to be friends with the incredibly true, loving people you two are. We WILL be visiting. You may have noticed this anticipated El Nino thing...

• MMclimbhigh
  • [MMclimbhigh]
More
19 Jul 2015 06:30 #224674 by MMclimbhigh
Replied by MMclimbhigh on topic Re: Retirement! It's been a good ride....
Thank you for the kind words my friends. We will truly miss sharing some great snow adventures with you all and we will certainly miss the incredible North Cascades. Our door is always open to you, so please do pay us a visit sometime! And Pete, I'm sure we can come up with some more outlandish ideas for you here in the San Juans. And yes, the right side of my neck and my trapezius have finally recovered from that windy winter day on the Roman Wall. But........how could we ever forget that AMAZING ski down through the verglas and ice penitentes.....epic!

Cheers Friends!