Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2015, Snowdome Fail

June 17, 2015, Snowdome Fail

6/17/15
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 6/21/15 5:37am
Well, maybe not Fail, since as long as:

- we skied;
- nobody was injured;
- no gear was lost or broken; and,
- we're all still on speaking terms after the tour, then...

... I consider any tour to be a complete success!

Unfortunately though the two routes we tried (which are usually our descent routes) for crossing the Eliot Glacier to Snowdome were entirely impassable (at least by our standards) and our usual ascent route looked very sketchy (ditto).

But the views were absolutely spectacular (both in the distance and up close), plus the hiking loop was a delight (and even more so in contrast to the moraine scrambled out-and-back).

Pictures & various details in the captions starting here:
https://www.facebook.com/NERandoRaceSeries/photos/a.920164678024780.1073741842.137097509664838/920165694691345/?type=3&theater
Based on your other TRs it sounds like a great few days even if Snowdome didn't pan out.

A friend and I were up there on the 13th and the glacier was passable but we were surprised how many crevasses were already open.  We made it to the top of Snowdome and had a great ski down but the glacier crossing was indeed sketchy.  I got a picture of the bench from above.

^ Glad to hear you got a good ski in on Snowdome, and also glad to hear we weren't the only ones who were sketched out.  (And seemed like a period of rapid transition, given our views of relatively recent tracks that were skiing over impassable terrain by then.)

And despite our limited skiing, here's a fun Doarama from last Thursday, mainly for all the stops: transition to skinning; transition to roped travel; hmm, nope, that route doesn't work; hmm, that other route doesn't work either; I think we just skied past our trail runners; ooh, 4G LTE reception for work email at ski > hike transition!

http://www.doarama.com/view/375918

Reply to this TR

june-17-2015-snowdome-fail
Jonathan_S.
2015-06-21 12:37:20