Home > Trip Reports > June 14, 2015, Mt. Daniel

June 14, 2015, Mt. Daniel

6/14/15
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by thatoneguydave on 6/15/15 5:12am
Quick post, but went out over the weekend and camped up near Peggys Pond and had a camping area all to ourselves, which was surprising as there were a dozen or so tents right on the lake keeping each other company.  Enjoyed the peace and quiet.  Brought the skis up with my wife and a friend and enjoyed a leisurely hike up to the pond, stayed the night, and then the next morning went for a solo climb up the mountain.  I came here a few years ago always wanting to come back and ski it and with the recent reports I thought why not?  The snow is receding quickly from previous trip reports, but I was still able to find continuous snow from near the summit all the ways down into the basin with a short 10 minute hike to Peggy's Pond with two short carries.  I imagine by next weekend it will look much different then yesterday. 

It was amazing out, the snow was great, the area is beautiful and this marked my 45th straight month of skiing.  When I started the whole TAY thing I thought it would just be a one year thing to try out, but here I am working my way towards 48 straight months (September) then I just need to bridge the gap into the upcoming winter.  It's a sick cycle...I think I started in June I may not be on the streak I am, but luckily you can always find snow in this state somewhere.  Just have to keep the legs moving. 

Essentially climbed up the rock spine adjacent to the decent route the whole way.  Never used skins.

Wow... Tons of melt

Congrats on nearing 4 years of TAY!  Thanks for the Daniels update.  On the 7th, one week earlier, you could ski to your camp spot.

For comparison, here is what the snow condition looked like on the three previous years around the same time of year:

July 22, 2012

July 14, 2013

July 12, 2014

Reply to this TR

june-14-2015-mt-daniel
thatoneguydave
2015-06-15 12:12:18