Home > Trip Reports > April 28-May 3, 2015, Jotunheimen, Norway Video

April 28-May 3, 2015, Jotunheimen, Norway Video

4/28/15
Europe
Posted by hop on 6/13/15 4:39am
Last month I had the opportunity to join Stian Hagen, Lou Dawson, Tobias Liljeroth, Scott Rinckenberger, and Greg Grenzke on a touring mission to the Jotunheimen region of Norway.  Our primary mission was the www.jotenheimenhauteroute.no but after a last-minute conditions check we decided to stay at Spiterstulen and Leirvassbu for three and two days each instead of going from hut to hut over five days. 

Lou has a bunch of blog posts about our trip over on www.wildsnow.com so check those out for verbal info and some photos (my camera's still in transit back to me).  I put together a POV video and it's viewable here

https://vimeo.com/129994221

In short, the Jotunheimen region of Norway and specifically the Leirvassbu hut is probably the best place I've ever been for low stress easy access ski touring.  You're near the tallest mountains in Norway and you can get any aspect you want right outside the door.  The terrain varies from flat to medium-rowdy.  Plus, at the end of the (very long) days you have a wonderful three-course meal and $15 beers waiting for you! 

Culturally speaking I've never seen anything like the crowd.  Super vibe and great company!

After Japanuary, Norwaypril/Normay may be my next favorite region/month combo - and I didn't even make it up to the fjords!    ;D

Reply to this TR

april-28-may-3-2015-jotunheimen-norway-video
hop
2015-06-13 11:39:02