Home > Trip Reports > June 10, Inter Glacier Glop

June 10, Inter Glacier Glop

6/10/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kciari on 6/12/15 5:05am
Took Wednesday off to "ski" on Inter Glacier and enjoy some of the "spring corn" I've been hearing so much about.

Drove to White River Trailhead and were hiking by 8:30am. Made it to Glacier Basin Camp by 9:45am with zero snow on the trial. Continued past the camp to about 6800' on the summer trail (never done that before, kind of miserable especially on the way down) where we hit snow and could finally skin.

Theresa forgot her poles, so we both had one and learned quickly that kick-turns are difficult - although not impossible - with only one pole. She was much more graceful than I, and I ended up face down in the snow on more than one occasion.

Due to the whole pole debacle and needing to get back in town for evening plans, we decided to head right above St. Elmo's Pass towards the Russell Cliiffs (I think that's what they're called) and have lunch. In all it took 4 hours to get to about 8500'.

We had some lunch and enjoyed killer views before the skiing. I'm not going to lie you to guys - it was terrible. Grabby, gloppy, sticky schmoo. I don't know if you can even really call it skiing, but we did get  about 1500' of turns and that's good enough for me to count 44-months of TAY. And, any day outside is better than being in the office, so even though we hiked 6 hours (4 hours up, 2 hours down) to ski for 10 minutes, it was a damn good day. #TeamTutu is always stoked to get outside.

But I don't recommend it if you're hoping to do "skiing".
Uhg. I love you guys and I'm sad I didn't get to spend the day with you, but I'm not sad I missed the hiking and the schmoo. Let's ski the Paradise next time!

The Paradise is currently cupped-out, Cori. It was sad how much the quality degraded over the last week.

author=kamtron link=topic=34359.msg141823#msg141823 date=1434402272]
The Paradise is currently cupped-out, Cori. It was sad how much the quality degraded over the last week.

REALLY? Man, July/August/September turns are going to blow this year.

Reply to this TR

june-10-inter-glacier-glop
kciari
2015-06-12 12:05:22