Home > Trip Reports > June 6, 2015, - Eldorado: light and fast

June 6, 2015, - Eldorado: light and fast

6/6/15
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ErikT on 6/6/15 9:49pm
Conditions update: Eldorado skied well over the wknd. Started skinning after dropping into Rousch creek basin. Since I started at 11:30, the first pitch of skinning was rather sloppy, but thankfully a breeze kept the upper part of the mountain firm enough for enjoyable skiing. Skinning was easy all the way up the Inspiration glacier and even right onto the summit since the snow was soft enough.

Motivated by Lowell's TR of last month, I tried to go light and fast and managed a time of 3:56 on the up - very glad to be anywhere near Lowell's time! Should be fun to use the climb as a benchmark of fitness every year. What a huge difference little weight made and keeping boots in my pack... while it was fun cruising past many climbers on the route, I'm also jealous of the sunrise they probably enjoyed Sunday morning. Either way is an excellent way to enjoy this beautiful area.

Longer story for those interested here.

Turns off the summit:

Inspiration glacier providing great snwo:

Such a gorgeous area:
Nice ski tracks!

I'm sure you had warmer/softer conditions than I did last week, since I started earlier and the day was somewhat cloudy. It's fun to try to figure out the most efficient food/water allocation. I ate a little bit at each of my transition points, which helped I'm sure. I also started skinning right after topping the evergreen band in Eldorado Creek basin. For me, that was probably faster than if I'd been walking.

I tip my hat to the really fast guys, which would not include me. Leor Pantilat has done Eldorado round-trip in 4:58:43 and he didn't have the benefit of skis:

http://www.alpenglow.org/nwmj/08/081_Pantilat.html

Have fun. Be safe!

I have to ask, what does your set up look like for these sorts of tours.

My quiver has been getting narrower and narrower and more mindful as I continue to tour.

Looks like great skiing you had!

author=LittleRichard link=topic=34347.msg141761#msg141761 date=1433728524]
I have to ask, what does your set up look like for these sorts of tours.

My quiver has been getting narrower and narrower and more mindful as I continue to tour.

Looks like great skiing you had!

I don't have anything very special... just used K2 Backups (I think ~90 underfoot? I used them the whole season this year...pretty versatile) with dynafits (no brakes) and Dynafit Mercury boots.. while not a heavy setup, it's certainly not a race setup either.

Reply to this TR

june-6-2015-eldorado-light-and-fast
ErikT
2015-06-07 04:49:04