Home > Trip Reports > May 28, 2015, - Snowking Mountain

May 28, 2015, - Snowking Mountain

5/28/15
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 5/29/15 7:36am

The western peaks of Snowking Mountain from the main summit.

Snowking Mountain was among my earliest climbs in the North Cascades when I did it in 1975 with Gary Brill. In 1988, I skied the peak via the West Route with my wife Steph as a day-trip. Around that time the "alternative approach" described in Beckey's green guide was popular with my ski friends. But since then, I hadn't been back for 27 years.

When I saw Jake the Brit's . My legs burned from the nettles during the drive home. About 11-1/2 hours round trip. A few pictures:

Over the years, some significant work has been done on the Illabot Creek fishermans trail. But other sections are faint.

Ascending the NW basin toward Point 7360ft+. Near timberline, there was only a foot or two of snow on the ground, requiring a few short ski portages.

The Snowking Glacier has diminished significantly when compared to the Austin Post photo in Cascade Alpine Guide.

Eldorado Peak from the summit of Snowking Mountain.

Point 7360ft+, the high point of our ski run on Snowking Mountain.

Crispin and Garth begin the descent from Point 7360ft+.

Garth skis the NW flank of Snowking on fine summer snow.

On the theory that the west approach to Snowking could use some love, here is a rough track of the fishermans trail. Notice that I haven't drawn the trail between the Illabot Creek road and 2600ft elevation. That's because I haven't found it yet. Whoever finds it deserves a prize. For those who don't, be prepared for a
my notes from 2001 for finding the trail to "King" Lake: 50yds up the road from the Illabot Creek bridge find a wet area/seep/tiny creek.  Go up this 50 vertical feet (some alder, no nettles) to trail.  trail starts 20 feet left of a large log lying down the fall line.

author=joecat2 link=topic=34320.msg141656#msg141656 date=1432996940]
my notes from 2001 for finding the trail to "King" Lake: 50yds up the road from the Illabot Creek bridge find a wet area/seep/tiny creek.  Go up this 50 vertical feet (some alder, no nettles) to trail.  trail starts 20 feet left of a large log lying down the fall line.

My notes from 1988 are similar, but I didn't find the trail following these notes during my March reconnaissance. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. Eventually I just started crashing up-valley until I went crazy, then I headed straight up the hill and ran into the trail.

On the way back from the lake, I found that the trail was maintained to a point much closer to the road than where I found it on my way up. But I lost it after crossing a log over a stream bed. I looked around for a while, then figured since I was pretty close to the road, I would just make for it. A reasonably short thrash.

A similar sequence of events occurred during the ski trip.  Somebody needs to search more patiently (or do some clearing) near the road. Once you find the trail you can make very good progress, with the occasional pause when it gets faint. It's only near the road that I've been stumped, probably because of impatience born of "horse to the barn" syndrome.

The Illabot road is in astonish9ingly good shape. I think it may partially maintained by the locals. I know that if I lived there & needed a good sunset &  view down onto my home turf I'd head up that way.
It could also be that it was originally very well thought-out & made.
Excellent photos as usual Mr Skoog

Thanks for the report.  It may be time to establish the skier's trail.  Hats off to those fishermen! I guess collapsible fishing rods are easier for shwacking than our skis...

What Kenji said!

And what a cool mountain.  Created for skiing I'm sure.

Reply to this TR

may-28-2015-snowking-mountain
Lowell_Skoog
2015-05-29 14:36:01