Home > Trip Reports > May 24-25, 2015, Mt Adams

May 24-25, 2015, Mt Adams

5/24/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by CascadeYeti on 5/28/15 5:06pm
I decided to head south as it was forecasted to be the nicest there for the weekend.  I also decided to drive from Issaquah over Cayuse Pass down to Randle and take FS RD23 to Trout Lake.  It saves around 200 miles round trip but is NOT faster.  A pretty twisty road and only 7 of the 56 miles are gravel although in rough shape.  It's a nice change of scenery from the freeway and lots of great camping, so this is where I spent the first night.  I woke up to overcast but my barometer said otherwise so I continued and hoped for the best.  Sure enough the mountain was in mostly clear sky and zero wind until evening.  I was able to skin from about 6,500 ft and the snowpack was just a little deeper than my first time there late June 2013.  I spent the evening at the lunch counter and experienced one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.  I joined two other skiers at the summit who had hiked from the trail head that morning.  Even by noon the cold night temps and wind had prevented the snow from thawing until below the south summit where the skiing was fantastic!  It looked like most skiers/boarders either turned around at the south summit or were leaving their equipment there before continuing to the main summit. Even below camp the dirty beat up snow was soft yet not too sticky for my tired legs.  As I drove back into Trout Lake a search and rescue as well as a mountain search and rescue truck drove up the road.  I guess a climber had injured herself glissading and a snowboarder was a lost from the previous night.  Have not heard if he was found or not.

View from the FS RD 23

Great view of next month's ski trip
Thanks for the write-up. I spoke with a Search and Rescue volunteer who said a climber was glissading with micro-spikes and snapped an ankle bone.  She didn't mention anything about a missing boarder.

Reply to this TR

may-24-25-2015-mt-adams
CascadeYeti
2015-05-29 00:06:29