Home > Trip Reports > Painted Traverse, February 2014, Video

Painted Traverse, February 2014, Video

5/15/15
Posted by Jason_H. on 5/28/15 3:59am
https://vimeo.com/129059971

I'm a little slow getting to TR's and videos, but alas, I sat down yesterday and put a fun video together of the Painted Traverse, a 5 day trip through the Glacier Peak Wilderness this past February. This traverse is really something that should be put on the A list as it is a classic traverse that we all highly enjoyed. Summits included various peaks. Some of which were Red, Black, White, Magenta, Purple, Glacier and more.

I also have some great photos and an actual TR done as well, just need to get an updated website made for longer TR's since my old cascadecrusades site is running on 15 year old software. Ha.

Enjoy!

Nice video. Why do you really want a mirrorless sony? What are the advantages over your current camera?

Running Clouds,

Weight, mainly. I carry a lot of camera weight into the mountains. Think of it as being an extra pair of skis, boots and bindings. With a sony A7r I'd be able to cut the weight significantly: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008112-REG/sony_ilce7r_b_a7r_mirrorless_digital_camera.html The lenses are smaller and lighter, and even a few ounces per lens adds up, as well as the other accessories, each smaller and lighter. My entire set up would probably be half the weight. A bigger camera has some advantages, but they are shrinking quickly. In ways, this sony linked is better than my camera now...the nikon d800.

Jason I use the lower-end Sony NEX-5n mirrorless and I just thought I'd plug that it has performed flawlessly with zero maintenance for over a year of ski touring and mountaineering.

Great video of course!

Thanks for video - I'll add it to the pile of reasons to get out that way soon..

I've been using a sony a7 for a few months. Been quite a transition from a canon SLR. Certainly lighter... get ready to buy all new camera bags, or have a camera that just slides around inside your current bag. It might sound pretty obvious, but definitely get out to a store, or grab a friend's sony to fool with first... it feels very different in your hands than a larger sized SLR, and took me a while to get used to...

Thanks Erik. I've had friends that use it. The camera would work well for longer trips where weight is an issue. I like my SLR for sure, but I've been tempted more and more by the lighter gear, each year that goes by.

Looks like good times traveling in the mountains with a heavy pack.

Excellent...thanks!!!!!!

Reply to this TR

painted-traverse-february-2014-video
Jason_H.
2015-05-28 10:59:17