Home > Trip Reports > May 24, 2015, Mt Rainier, Interglacier

May 24, 2015, Mt Rainier, Interglacier

5/24/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Floater on 5/26/15 10:27pm
I joined my friend Mike and his partner Donna on our last trip of the €œHarbinger Pig€ ski season.  We got a late start around 10:00 AM from the White River campground and hit the trail.  For those familiar with it the trail is like a freeway and is an easy walk almost all the way to the Glacier Basin Camping area.  In a normal winter in late June and early July you usually hit snow well before the camp area and are even able to cross the stream on snow bridges.  This makes the trip a very relaxing and easy journey to either Mount Ruth or Interglacier.  This year that is not the case.  It was amazing we did not get to snow until well after the campground and high up in the basin.  We might have been able to try crossing the stream and working up the other side but that looked a bit treacherous.  We even debated turning around but the weather was clear and pleasant so after resting and eating some lunch we decided to push on until we hit the snow.  Once we finally hit snow we knew that there was at least 3500 feet of possibly decent skiing all the way from the top of Steamboat Prow.  What was sad was when we looked at Mount Ruth, the skiing on it was more limited than I had ever seen it and most of my ski trips on Ruth have been in June or early July. 

When we reached the top of Steamboat Prow the amazing thing was how broken up the Emmons Glacier is. Each year there seems to be more crevasses opening up.  Ten or 15 years ago there seemed to be a lot less crevasses on the Emmons.  Has anyone noticed this or is it just my imagination?  Perhaps there are pictures that would indicate if this is true or not. 

We were pleasantly surprised to get at least 2500 feet of lovely corn snow from the Prow down to the final rollover into the basin where it started get grabby.  It should be noted that there was one small crack appearing on the glacier about half way up.  After completing the ski run we then spent the rest of the afternoon doing some bottleering since it was obvious there was not enough time to get in another run.  Overall it was a great trip to end the season. 

To sum up the season it was clear it was the worst season of my 52 years skiing.  However, as far as actual skiing it was not my worst season.  Having a pair of skis with Dynafits is like having a chair lift in your pocket.  Not having to rely on the lifts allows you to make a poor season into an enjoyable one by going higher and having a greater choice of terrain.  This year did throw out some of my best corn skiing days and few days of powder, but honestly in the latter it was a season that was wanting.  Sadly next season is not looking much better.

Mike may try and post some pictures.  For those still skiing enjoy!
Thanks for the TR, it would be nice to see a pic of Emmons. What is bottleering?

"Having a pair of skis with Dynafits is like having a chair lift in your pocket."

That is a true fact!

You summed of the season very well with the gear reference.

author=runningclouds link=topic=34310.msg141617#msg141617 date=1432760794]
Thanks for the TR, it would be nice to see a pic of Emmons. What is bottleering?
good question.

sounds like fun!

sadly i've been consumed by trying to get my van running with its new engine and haven't been back out since i ran into you up on the fryingpan.  considering that i was introduced to the sport that day i will enlighten the uninitiated--"bottleering" is like mountaineering except that instead of technical climbing gear you have bottles of home brewed cider, and instead of risking your life on steep, exposed faces you are sitting in the sun and drinking them. 

it's an equally worthy method of appreciating the fine mountains in my book!

i like the approach!

Good to see you Floater near the Prow.

Very fun trip and good corn.

Calvin

Here some picture of the trip.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOvFm1vGNwDCG7bbceV06C06SVlnYjSWPP9Lzw

Reply to this TR

may-24-2015-mt-rainier-interglacier
Floater
2015-05-27 05:27:48