Home > Forum > New invention (maybe)

New invention (maybe)

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
18 May 2015 21:20 #224562 by Jake the Brit
New invention (maybe) was created by Jake the Brit
I'm unsure about the etiquette of promoting things on TAY. I put them in the yardsale too, but since it'd be nice to actually sell a few, I'm trying a bit of ruthless self-promotion::::::::::::

They turn your whippet into a 2nd ice ax. Great for plunging into hard snow. I used one on the top of Chaval where the snow was damned steep & had a evil crust.
I don’t have a gram-scale, but I reckon they don’t weigh much, and carry pretty well on a toggle, which comes with.

I have this part to fit the new Whippet (both carbon & normal) & I will get the ones to fit the slightly older blue-handle whippet in a week or so.
Thanks for reading. $20, I reckon I could put them in envelopes & they are Patent Pending, just so I can retire as either a Black Diamond wine-swilling executive or a patent troll.
Ha. Rock on.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2015 21:39 #224563 by Shred
Replied by Shred on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Dibs on being your first TAY customer! I have the pre blue handle Whippets... got a build for those?

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
18 May 2015 22:22 #224564 by Jake the Brit
Replied by Jake the Brit on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Nope, but a pair of calipers....and a week or so later. Blamo!
No problemo.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
19 May 2015 06:46 #224566 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Channeling Pemberthy...

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
20 May 2015 06:22 #224568 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
I don't mean to rain on anybody's party.... but I have a concern.

Seems like the flicklock mechanism could be forced open pretty easily while jamming the shaft into the snow, especially in firm or chunky conditions. I suggest incorporating some sort of method to restrain the lever. Maybe a zip-tie or a hose clamp.

-S

More
20 May 2015 09:43 #224569 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Why not make the head diameter of the spike at least as large as the flick lock lever?

More
20 May 2015 10:04 #224570 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
just make a different bottom shaft....it is easier to put on an off with gloves on. Such a small thing is nice for weight..but I can see troublesome with gloves.

More
20 May 2015 11:05 #224571 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
or...you somehow you could create a collapsible basket.

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
20 May 2015 11:23 #224572 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Reminds me of this below. If you can incorporate a whippet to this design below, you will win big bucks!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 May 2015 13:05 #224574 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
A clever and elegant idea. Nicely done.

Tread carefully using the term "ice ax" to describe the modified self-arrest ski pole. Self-arrest pole shafts are strong, but they're not B/T rated. It may be wise to chat with an attorney to select language and instructions that accurately represent what the product can and cannot do.

Pole-latch damage is apt to become a concern on thin snow/rocks.

USPS has a 1/4" thickness limit on cheap mailing. You'll probably have to work a little to find a sufficiently durable envelope to ship 'em without cutting their way out of the envelope. Sending grease pencils with AvyStickers was more complicated and expensive than I expected.

Very best of luck dealing with the tax/business overhead associated with tiny production runs. It was eye-opening.

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
21 May 2015 22:14 - 21 May 2015 22:17 #224583 by Jake the Brit
Replied by Jake the Brit on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
Here's the thing:
The BD whippet cam-lock closers are aluminum, not plastic, although they've done a pretty good job of making them look plastic.
I put one on the grinding wheel just to check.
Sure, you might screw one up, but it won't happen with one hit

It's for
Fast & light: where your stuff may not last forever, but it will get you to the top.
Where you can't take everything, cos you'd have too much & you'd never stand a chance.

This whippet-thingy was made just to deal with the top 200' of nasty snow. So it you're booting up & your pole-handle isn't quite penetrating, the thingy is on your handle, small enough to have lived there forever.
One day you may need it, then you pull the bottom pole sections, stuff them down your back between your pack straps, basket upwards, fiddle the thingy in place & blammo, you're happy , cos you thought you were goping to fall off, & Now you have a 3% better chance of staying on. Hmm, I just made that figure up??$%#^*!. Thanks Charlie H for advising caution.

That's it.
I'll make a few & keep then in all sizes &. I'm not going to turn into a sales manic & thanks fellas & ladies for being supportive
Attachments:

More
22 May 2015 08:56 #224584 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
I still think you should increase the diameter of the head of your spike.  If you're plunging it you'll hang up on the flick lock and maybe again on the soft grip that's half way up the shaft.  If you're concerned about the sharp edge on the top of the spike catching and pulling the spike out as you pull the whippet out of a plunged hole then just add a chamfer there.  If you're not plunging then the stock whippet tip is fine for my needs. 

If your concern is weight then drill out the middle, if your concern is having to finding larger round stock to start with I got nothing for you.

Cool idea, you should develop it further.

More
24 May 2015 20:52 #224588 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
I think it's a brilliant idea for those occasions when we need more than our whippet tip and shorter.

Thanks for hooking Jeff and I Jake!!

More
24 May 2015 21:54 #224589 by Kenji
Replied by Kenji on topic Re: New invention (maybe)
I wished having one on Snowking summit! Great idea, i just made one for myself. $20 is a good price, I spent hours in my basement. Thanks!
Attachments:

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 May 2015 22:48 #224593 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: New invention (maybe)

Here's the thing:
The BD whippet cam-lock closers are aluminum, not plastic, although they've done a pretty good job of making them look plastic.
I put one on the grinding wheel just to check.
Sure, you might screw one up, but it won't happen with one hit

Interesting idea, Jake.

By the way, the Flicklock Pro closer is actually stainless steel, not aluminum. Aluminum wouldn't work at all in such an application, it has minimal springiness and would brittle fracture almost immediately.

So the closer is even more rugged than you thought, and should survive fine in the use you're intending, since it's both harder and stronger than the 7075 aluminum that you're using for the new tip.

Attachments: