Home > Trip Reports > A Month in the Lyngen Alps of Norway

A Month in the Lyngen Alps of Norway

5/15/15
Europe
Posted by Kyle Miller on 5/17/15 9:13pm
Last year I was fortunate to send a week in the Lyngen Alps where I saw the endless potential in a true gem of a range but with limited time I was only able to scratch the surface but I vowed to myself that one day I would return to the Nordland as fate would have it I returned this season as our snowpack was marginal in the Cascades so I booked a ticket to Europa and after two weeks of sublime conditions in Austria with my friends Lea and Lorenzo I was off to the Paris of the North.

Why are the Lyngen Alps so Special?
Imagine having the north face of Mt. Buckner and the South face of Mt. Stuart on on one mountain than repeat it 100 times and you have a taste of the Lyngen. My friend Scott Rinckenberger put it perfectly when he said it's like having Cascade Pass in Bellingham. It's just an unbelievable range of solitude, big mountains and the silence of the ocean.

I've been staying on a farm with my friend David and over the last weekend he asked if I would be interested in taking out the Sea Kayaks, riding some awesome terrain than camping on a Fjord and it was such an awesome experience that I thought I should write up a small trip report.

David lives just out of Lyngensedit and has the best view I have ever seen from a house as well as an amazing family which in which I am learning to speak Norge from a 4 year old.

Lyngen has a similar feel to the South Island of NZ (including the sheep) but much friendlier approaches.

For two days we would hop into the Sea Kayak and cross a ridiculously beautiful Fjord into whatever zone caught our eyes.

A few days earlier we rode the line on the right in the background and though it looks small it is over 3000 vertical feet.

Once in a zone we would pick an area to check out and just start heading up.

once on the ridge we would take in some of the best views I have ever witnessed.

Than ride a tasty couloir back down to our kayak

The next day it was the same story and same cirque but just a different aspect.

The Lyngen has a very Cascade Pass fill to it

We passed about 20 chutes but this one felt the safest and best sheltered of all of them.

it almost had a Sherpa peak fill to it.

but once on the ridge and in the sun the views started to open up.

and the riding down to the ocean was powder in Mid May.

before hitting snowline about 300 feet above the fjord and putting our skis on our packs.

Once back at the Kayak we picked some Mussels and went back to camp.

I highly recommend the Lyngen and I hope to return in the near future as I have a tick list for endless asthetic lines and traverse potential not to mention the changing of seasons that I have witnessed in the past month and now it is time for the Midnight sun.

Yes. Looks awesome, man.

The motherland!

How'd you get in there? Fly to Tromso?

Awesome Kyle!
We've seen you work at this dream for years and it's great to see how it's been paying off.
Thanks for sending home some stoke; keep it coming!

Awesome!!!  Bet your are regretting being away from electrical work... ::)

Thanks for the kind words. It has been a total blessing seeing the four corners of the world through Splitboarding.

North/Northern Norway
East/Japan
South/New Zealand
and West/Washington
all in one season.

Norseman I was very fortunate to be invited on a road trip from Innsbruck to Lyngen through all of Finland. For a week I was with "The ghosts of Lyngen"

It's funny and seems that the Finns use fat skis while the Norge people are still on Nordic skis. It's awesome getting in with such a great community.

That looks fantastic Kyle, thanks for the report!  A lot of sweet-looking terrain, and I appreciate the comparisons to our Cascades.  Some day...

what, no slide alder no thorns??  you're gonna get all soft over there..!

Soft is looking good and that H2O to snow travel is super impressive.

very inspiring Kyle, thanks for posting.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=34290.msg141484#msg141484 date=1431951185">

sick!

thanks for posting; i've been wanting to see more photos from your travels this spring.

Next time I ski in Norway, definitely checking out this zone.

Awesome! Love the comparisons with the cascades.

Reply to this TR

a-month-in-the-lyngen-alps-of-norway
Kyle Miller
2015-05-18 04:13:05