telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/22/17, 05:57 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!
 
Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.
 
FOAC Snow
Info Exchange


NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2015 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday  (Read 1564 times)
jtack
Member
Offline

Posts: 666


May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday
« on: 05/17/15, 10:39 PM »

The weather suggested 60% chance of rain, but  my ski partners were calling for 40% chance of sun!  They were mostly right, the skiing was not all that great after two days of rain, but the company was, and It was Mikes Birthday so our choice was obvious.  For those of you who frequent this place, you may recall the odd ritual Mike likes to accomplish on his day of birth.  This year was no exception, so for those of you with fragile constitutions, turn back now!The Blue lake parking had just one other vehicle, no surprise really given the gloppy condition of the snow.  By the time we made it to the 6000 foot level our skins were icing nicely, but we were out of it 500 feet below the col, on about three inches of new.  The ski down to Copper Creek was fun, with a little slough management required in some of the steeper sections.  It was in here somewhere that Mike went au natural,  Dan had never been witness to such madness, and did manage to snap a picture or two for blackmail.  By the time we made the bottom of the run the snow was truly saturated sticky mush.  Our tentative plans for a longer tour turned into shorter is better, and we headed for the next pass.  We had a handful of fun turns off the pass, but by the time we were down 500 feet we were in truly demanding snow.  Dan and I were on modest size skis, and we were working for every turn, but Mike's monster Clara Lites were making it look easy.  Cupcakes back at the car finished off the birthday tour.  The snow is going fast, make haste if you need a Washington Pass tour.























« Last Edit: 05/17/15, 11:08 PM by jtack » Logged
mikerolfs
Member
Offline

Posts: 796


WWW
Re: May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday
« Reply #1 on: 05/18/15, 05:42 PM »

good thing my mom doesn't frequent Turns All Year.

Thanks for the great day Jamie and Dan.  Was just great.  Compare skiing car to car at Washington Pass to what is available at Mission Ridge now.  You can still ski quality snow, but you have to walk on dry trails for more than half the height of the mountain to get to it. 
Logged
shred
Member
Offline

Posts: 336


WWW
Re: May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday
« Reply #2 on: 05/18/15, 06:10 PM »

Some things just cant be un-seen...
Happy Birthday, Mike!
Looks like you fellas had a swell day.
Logged
danpeck
Member
Offline

Posts: 504


Re: May 14, 2015 60% chance rain100% chance Birthday
« Reply #3 on: 05/20/15, 12:37 PM »

Hey!  Nice write up Jamie!  It truly was the experience of a life time to experience the Birthday Tour in all it's naturalness. 

Good times for sure!
Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  



Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC


Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.