Home > Trip Reports > May 16, 2015, Fryingpan environs

May 16, 2015, Fryingpan environs

5/16/15
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by r1de on 5/17/15 11:22am
Rusty Knees, myself and two others made a push for the Fryingpan Saturday, despite uncertain weather and my questionable fitness (not only in general, but being saddled with an active cold).  The road and ground were dry on arrival, and we began hiking up the Wonderland trail at about 8:30 under encouraging skies.  We traveled in the footsteps and later skintrack of a solo skier who was about 30 minutes ahead of us the whole day.  Skinnable snow began at about 5730' up along the creek, with two snowbridges that won't last long (in fact one is probably gone already).

The weather only improved as we progressed, eventually leading to few clouds under bright sunny skies and calm below ridgeline.  We observed wet loose sloughs aplenty on all aspects, and increasingly deep/wet surface snow, which affected decisions in both directions.

After running low on time and energy at about 7500' (where a stiff wind was hitting the ridge line), we turned around for the trip down.  The approach of some dark clouds with obvious rain bands kept us moving.  Although the weather, company, and scenery made for a net-gain trip, the downhill travel was admittedly a disappointment.  The heavy, wet surface snow was incredibly sticky, and readily sloughed at moderate angles on all aspects (http://www.nwac.us/observations/pk/92/).

Despite the ominous clouds, it remained warm and dry throughout our descent.  The solo skier we had been chasing arrived back at the TH before we had left, and reported equally bad skiing conditions further up on the Fryingpan.

Glad to learn that Don's knees haven't rusted out entirely yet!
At least the trail is nice...

author=Snow Bell link=topic=34287.msg141491#msg141491 date=1431962965]
Glad to learn that Don's knees haven't rusted out entirely yet!
At least the trail is nice...

He's on AT gear now, too. :)

author=r1de link=topic=34287.msg141492#msg141492 date=1431963292]
He's on AT gear now, too. :)

Dang it.  I'm outed!  Don't hate me, my tele brethren.  But my knees are thanking me.  I think would have enjoyed the heavy snow more with my tele gear, though.  Or some Alpine lessons.

Thanks for a great trip, Bryan!

The solo skier was me - nice to meet you all.  I was hoping for a corn situation higher on the Fryingpan glacier but gave up at about 8200'.  Even there the snow was amazingly saturated with water.  Water skiing comes to mind.  From what I could see, Fryingpan Glacier looks really nice; smooth and clean.  It should be in prime after a few cold nights and warm days.

Meany Crest

Looking from upper-North side of Goat Cirque

Fryingpan Gl. and Whitman Crest in the back (and little and big T)

author=ps44 link=topic=34287.msg141519#msg141519 date=1432057468]
The solo skier was me - nice to meet you all.

I should have asked!  Great pics, and I agree - some diurnal freezing & thawing are in order.

The twofer ski report was great, just sorry the sking was not great as well. Thanks for the post.

Reply to this TR

may-16-2015-fryingpan-environs
r1de
2015-05-17 18:22:44