Home > Forum > Roadtripping from Colorado

Roadtripping from Colorado

• tomcat
  • [tomcat]
More
16 May 2015 08:25 #224549 by tomcat
Roadtripping from Colorado was created by tomcat
Looking to come out to ski the cascades and wondering what would be the best options. Realizing this year has been low tide for the cascades, my S.O. really wants to ski volcanoes. We have climbed Rainier several times as well as Mt baker and are competent with glacier travel and are strong skiers. My original thoughts were Mt shuksan, Mt baker, Fuhrer Finger Mt Rainier.
Question is, how will the snow conditions be in about 2 weeks? Im not a super slog fest type of guy but Tracee is. Not looking to hike for hours to reach the snowline.
Of course the best skiing in the lower 48 is right here I think, but she is hell bent on doing something in the cascades. Im not even looking for the highest peaks just interesting skiing and climbing.
Thnx in advance
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 May 2015 20:54 #224553 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Roadtripping from Colorado
mt hood is the simpliest to snow up the palmer glacier @ timberline..

More
17 May 2015 10:56 - 17 May 2015 11:27 #224554 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Roadtripping from Colorado
If you guys happen to choose Mt Hood, I'd guess based on your experience that you would probably be more happy with the North Side, accessed via the Cloud cap road.  Much more of a wilderness feel on that side than going up via Palmer.

Other than that, probably not much climbing/skiing available in Oregon by then without a slog approach you said you would like to avoid (ie. Mt Jefferson, The Sisters).  Maybe Mt Shasta?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
17 May 2015 13:39 #224555 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Roadtripping from Colorado
I think the climbs you've mentioned are good options for a Cascades tour. Of course you should consider adding Adams, maybe Goat Rocks or something off of Cascade River Rd (Eldorado & Sahale are options) to the list, too. Snow is patchy and the glaciers may be much more open than usual at lower elevations, so keep that in mind. Be ready to walk for snow! The snow may retreat a fair amount over the next week, but should be okay above 5.5k on N aspects, might need 6k for S aspects.