Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Hood NE Face, Sunday 5/10

Mt. Hood NE Face, Sunday 5/10

5/10/15
OR Mt Hood
Posted by NickM on 5/14/15 6:45am
As I'm sure a lot of people found, conditions on the Hoodwand were excellent last weekend.  I'm sure things have changed a lot with the current weather, so I haven't been in a hurry to get this out.  It's been great to see what else went on last weekend.

On Sunday, after the earliest start thus far in my existence, a friend and I hiked in from the trail head and climbed the north face right gully.  For those interested, it was in good shape, with an easy (but may not last much longer) left-side shrund crossing down low and nice water ice on both pitches.  I have no ice experience and followed both pitches, but my friend was happy with what he saw. Temps were warmer than desired by the time we topped out around 10am, but things felt good en route.  Wow, great way up the mountain; I can't recall many cooler experiences.

The plan was to ski Cooper Spur, but the east aspect had warmed enough to be a little sloppy.  The sun was out strong and there was zero wind on top.  Looking for a colder aspect, I headed left and ended up finding awesome snow on the NE face.  Holy smokes, what a beautiful route. 2000'+ of sustained steeps from the tippy top with a clean exit onto the Elliot glacier below...I'm not sure what else to ask for.  Based on how crazy steep it looks from below, most would be surprised at the 45ish slope angle.  The face is convex to the sides and below, so I had the feeling of being adrift in the ocean for a moment there.  Way cool.  Having a photo was nice to hit the exit right.  Very humbling line, and I took it very carefully.  For those inclined, definitely one to put on the list once it's ready  again.

Ah, the sunrise photo with the line drawn is from months ago.  The rocks are a little bigger now.
Pretty amazing trip there.

I've done both the NFRG and skied the cooper spur, and contemplated the line you skied.

Pretty extreme climbing and skiing there, it's great to see the progression in NW alpinism. Chamonix style X Oregon cascades...love it!!!

Btw as far as I know that is one of only a few descents down that line.

Respect! Very nice

"I have no ice experience and followed both pitches"
Way to scare yourself and still ski the biggie  8) 

Reply to this TR

mt-hood-ne-face-sunday-5-10
NickM
2015-05-14 13:45:45