Home > Trip Reports > May 10, NCNP, Rainy Pass

May 10, NCNP, Rainy Pass

5/10/15
Posted by wcurchin on 5/11/15 12:58pm
Roommate Seth and I decided to head up to NCNP as neither of we-east-coast-trasplants had skied up that way. Shot for a 4:30 departure, but it's always a half hour later that early. One heck of a drive up that way, seeing the remains of the Oso land slide, passing through Darrington, and then finally into the park. NCNP is a sight to behold, topping the list of NPs in my mind. Reached Rainy pass around 7:45.

Opening my pack, my heart sunk.....no skins. Nearly 26 and this still happens, especially on such a spectacularly long day trip. AHHHH!

Luckily, I mcgyvered ski crampons in combination with voile straps and managed to start trekking up. Our intended destination was the zone above Lake Ann and it managed to be a fairly easy ascent up the summer trail to the right of the lake. The trail is bare in a number of sections which required ski removal. At that aspect and time the snow had begun mank-ifying making the dirt trail preferable. Topped out above lake ann and did some solid skiing. Snow is holding well up high. Lake is still frozen, but not stable enough to cross any longer.

Sadly, our skiing was not terribly long lasted as our start was a bit late and the snow softened considerably causing a decent amount of wet snow to move below skin tracks and turns on steeper slopes.

Spectacular scenery and unbelievable terrain that I will be returning to often. Around every turn, the NW continues to amaze me.

Footnotes:
Skinning in via the sides of Lake Ann is getting tricky with the melt. Some walking make be required.
Nice report, Will.
Bummer about the forgotten skins, but it sounds like you guys managed to make lemonade anyway! I've heard some stories about duct tape and tree limbs as stand-ins for skins. Not the best of options, of course....

Let's get out skiing soon!

Reply to this TR

may-10-ncnp-rainy-pass
wcurchin
2015-05-11 19:58:53